No jobs just profits..

The price is dependant on what people will pay.

If thats the going rate, the £2000 is fine.

Perhaps his/her target audience won't buy a handbag unless it costs a certain amount? you can be too cheap

the price also depends on how many she expects to sell, she may want the her items to be exclusive and so prices accordingly to avoid the rif raf! also dont forget that high end goods demand high end marketing and sales outlets and in the grand scheme of designer handbags and other goods its not that expensive!

A British designer says she can't afford to pay minimum wage to manufacture handbags in Britain, but she charges £2,000 per handbag!

Do you think not providing British people with jobs when making this margin of profit is as bad as not paying tax?

It's a business practice and perfectly acceptable, but I would hope that British people would have a little common sense in their purchasing and buy where possible British. Tough times call for a bit of circling the wagons and whereever possible I buy British rather than putting my hard earned into the pockets of foreigners. Not always possible but if we all tried to keep the money in the country rather than handing it to johny foreigner we'd be in a much better carry on in the long term on all sorts of levels.

A British designer says she can't afford to pay minimum wage to manufacture handbags in Britain, but she charges £2,000 per handbag!

Do you think not providing British people with jobs when making this margin of profit is as bad as not paying tax?

any business that says they prioritise jobs against making a profit is either lying or will go out of business pretty quick!

It's a business practice and perfectly acceptable, but I would hope that British people would have a little common sense in their purchasing and buy where possible British. Tough times call for a bit of circling the wagons and whereever possible I buy British rather than putting my hard earned into the pockets of foreigners. Not always possible but if we all tried to keep the money in the country rather than handing it to johny foreigner we'd be in a much better carry on in the long term on all sorts of levels.

Well said that man.

I look for quality first and foremost. Next, I look at whether the goods or services are made or provided in the UK. Working in a job myself where more and more of the work is heading east - I try to support UK jobs if I can. Shame more people don't do so.

How much profit is she making?

I don't know. It's from a news item on the TV news. But I can buy a mass produced handbag made in the far east for less than £20.

If I was paying £2,000 for a bag I'd expect it to be handmade in small numbers from top quality materials, and those making it to be paid as craftsmen. I'd also like to think I was supporting workers by buying British. Anything less smacks of exploitation of both the workers and the customer.

Even under those conditions, at £2,000 a throw I reckon I could still make a profit

If I was paying £2,000 for a bag I'd expect it to be handmade in small numbers from top quality materials, and those making it to be paid as craftsmen. I'd also like to think I was supporting workers by buying British. Anything less smacks of exploitation of both the workers and the customer.

Even under those conditions, at £2,000 a throw I reckon I could still make a profit

I have to agree.

Unless the handbags are made of leather sourced from unicorns, with solid gold fasteners edged with diamonds, there is no way that the actual cost of the item can add up to £2000.

Outsourcing mass produced items I can understand but a lot of the value (or do I mean "value") of a £2000 handbag must lie in the craftsmanship inherent in its construction.

I have to agree.

Unless the handbags are made of leather sourced from unicorns, with solid gold fasteners edged with diamonds, there is no way that the actual cost of the item can add up to £2000.

Outsourcing mass produced items I can understand but a lot of the value (or do I mean "value") of a £2000 handbag must lie in the craftsmanship inherent in its construction.

Smacks of either excess profit taking or a very poorly constructed business model.

Wonder how many hours one of these bags takes to make.

Why do people buy a £2,000 handbag?

To show other people that they can afford to buy something so extravagant.

That's all.

They don't care about business models or country of origin.

Designers and manufacturers are happy to take money off such fools and if it gives some Asian villager some extra income ... why not?

Why do people buy a £2,000 handbag?

To show other people that they can afford to buy something so extravagant.

That's all.

They don't care about business models or country of origin.

Designers and manufacturers are happy to take money off such fools and if it gives some Asian villager some extra income ... why not?

....Because it could at least give some British villager an income.

But in the main I agree with you.

So the OP doesn't know how much profit is made from each bag.

Which designer is this.

What materials are used in the making of theses handbags.

Are these bags of the same quality of a £20 massed produced hand bag.

Archived