No jobs just profits..

So the OP doesn't know how much profit is made from each bag.

Which designer is this.

What materials are used in the making of theses handbags.

Are these bags of the same quality of a £20 massed produced hand bag.

I hope not...

Can't say name of designer in case I get pulled (or sued.) Anyway it's not really the point. Anyone who is charging £2000 for a handbag is making a massive profit on each one and can well afford the British minimum wage.

I don't know. It's from a news item on the TV news. But I can buy a mass produced handbag made in the far east for less than £20.

If I was paying £2,000 for a bag I'd expect it to be handmade in small numbers from top quality materials, and those making it to be paid as craftsmen. I'd also like to think I was supporting workers by buying British. Anything less smacks of exploitation of both the workers and the customer.

Even under those conditions, at £2,000 a throw I reckon I could still make a profit

so you admit you don`t know which isn`t a surprise, do you understand the difference between nett and gross profit?

maybe the bags subsidise the cost of the fashion shows or the charitable donation the designer makes every year.

I don't know what her profits are, so can't really comment. It might be a lot less than we think.

And two grand for a hand bag ?!?!? Cripes !!!!!

Why's that? Do you think the money will be blown on wining and dining clients, business travel expenses to resorts like Hawaii, Monaco etc before it ever gets near a taxman?

[/b]

I hope not...

Can't say name of designer in case I get pulled (or sued.) Anyway it's not really the point. Anyone who is charging £2000 for a handbag is making a massive profit on each one and can well afford the British minimum wage.

That would rather depend on what it is made of; some hand bags use gold and diamonds or other precious material in their manufacture.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvp82

So the OP doesn't know how much profit is made from each bag.

Which designer is this.

What materials are used in the making of theses handbags.

Are these bags of the same quality of a £20 massed produced hand bag.

I hope not...

You can say if its been on the news...

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

So it's Anya Hindmarch.

I quite like some of the Anya Hindmarch men's leather goods.

Bonus for me was British Airways give all it's first class passengers a rather nice Anya Hindmarch amenity bag. The pair of them look rather nice in my bathroom filled with my bits and bobs.

Looking at bags made by Hermes, which when you look at the prices make some of the AH bags look positively cheap. It looks like they are hand crafted by well craftsmen. http://www.businessinsider.com/how-herms-bags-are-made-2012-7?op=1

How does that compare to the £2000+ AH bags. Are AH bags hand made or massed produced in some Far East sweatshop ?

The privately owned designer, which is one of Britain’s fastest-growing smaller luxury goods companies, reported pre-tax profits of £830,000 on revenues up 12 per cent to £20m in the year to December 31. However, as the outlook for the luxury sector becomes more uncertain, incoming chief executive James McArthur has put plans for 10 new international stores on ice until next year, preferring to concentrate on making the label’s 55 existing stores more profitable.

So not such a huge profit after all, less than 5% profit befor tax.

The privately owned designer, which is one of Britain’s fastest-growing smaller luxury goods companies, reported pre-tax profits of £830,000 on revenues up 12 per cent to £20m in the year to December 31. However, as the outlook for the luxury sector becomes more uncertain, incoming chief executive James McArthur has put plans for 10 new international stores on ice until next year, preferring to concentrate on making the label’s 55 existing stores more profitable.

So not such a huge profit after all, less than 5% profit befor tax.

[/b]

I hope not...

5% pre tax clearly isn't the massive profit that Anna B claims.

Archived