No jobs just profits..

We do the more skilled jobs. Tax breaks etc ? Not doing the (foreign owned) car industry any harm, it's in rude health at the moment. If semi skilled workers in bongobongoland make the handbags, we make the Eco friendly cars.

We should be making cars and handbags. Putting all your eggs in one basket has proved to be a huge mistake in the past.

We do the more skilled jobs. Tax breaks etc ? Not doing the (foreign owned) car industry any harm, it's in rude health at the moment. If semi skilled workers in bongobongoland make the handbags, we make the Eco friendly cars.

This has gone off on a tangent slightly but even the skilled jobs are going abroad now.

Computer programming jobs are now done abroad - jobs that usually demand a degree educated person to do.

Call centre jobs have gone overseas - not everyone's ideal vocation but they still pay about £18k and will mean one more UK person paying tax and one less lot of job seekers allowance to pay out. That's probably about £4k per call centre operative that this country is missing out on. Multiply that number by the number of jobs that have gone overseas and that's quite a bit of money that the government is losing each year.

I keep hearing this argument that we in the UK send menial jobs overseas and get highly technical and highly skilled jobs in return. What are these jobs that we get in return? What happens when the countries doing the menial work have educated their workforce to such a level that they can then do the really skilled jobs?

It seems very strange to me that we send jobs abroad when we have a high level of unemployment here and then make more people redundant in the jobs over here that we have sent abroad. I wish that I had studied economics because then I may understand the logic behind it.

She is running a business ,and if she can source labour cheaper in another country ,then it makes financial sense to do so. You dont make a business successful by paying more than you have too for materials and labour. Its called keeping your overheads as low as possible to maximize profits.

Yes and when no one has a job in this country then she won't be able to sell her hand bags, no profits if their is no sale !

SHOCK HORROR.

Business lines its own pockets and only cares about making money.

Unless something is extremely rare and unique to the UK - things can be made cheaper abroad. Its all well and good trying to bring back manufacturing to the UK but who is buying it? What possible selling power would we have?

ANYTHING made in the UK would come with a huge price tag compared to other places.

If us citizens wont buy british what hope do we have of persuading those people abroad to buy our home made products!

I said before and say again. Ask most people to look around their house. Ask most people to look at where they are buying things from. How many of those products are british made and british owned companies.

Ask those same people if they would be prepared to change their ways and buy british with the increased cost. How many would do it?

Errr..... you don't think a handbag costing £7,500 is a huge price tag?

That's why she could afford to have it made in the UK.

I'm sure Anya Hindmarch could have the bags made in the UK but I'm also sure by doing that it would eat into her profits.

Shes running a business to make a profit and if empolying people overseas to make her bags maximises her profits then you can't blame her for doing it. I'm sure if she could produce the same bag in this country for the same price as she can by doing it overseas, I'm sure she would.

I have no idea. I dont know how they are made or what they are made from.

I dont know what her profit margins are. I dont know where her materials are sourced from.

For designer nonsense possibly not.

You can buy dresses as £5,000 suits for £3,000

Pens and watches at £1,000+

Rarity of something, if something is bespoke, materials used, service provided, demand for something can also push up prices in a business. You could argue that an Aston Martin is just a glorified Ford. Therefore its £125,000 price tag is just blatent profiteering. However, I bet many would see things differently.

Besides, when talking about manufacture im talking about real world things that everyone buys not just a handful of designer things for silly Sloane Square types.

Proper manufacturing of things people need and demand has been driven abroad becuase we simply cannot compete. We consumers demand cheaper and cheaper. If we dont get we now have ways and means of finding it. We go abroad on holiday and buy things to bring home. We order directly off the internet from offshore based companies. We flood into discount warehouses and poundstores filled with imported foreign brands and "fake" labels all being sold for pennies. We flood into sports stores buying up branded gear we know full well has been made in sweatshops in the far east.

If you want to change something. You have to change the attitudes of the consumer first.

Mary Portas did a tv experiment on trying to bring back british manufacturing. It was interesting watching the struggle to try to convert people into paying just a few pounds more to buy british. People should take a look and see the struggle to source british made materials at a reasonable cost and pay a british workforce without making the price for people on the streets too high that they wont pay and make enough product to allow any sort of profit.

This is the problem we are in. Companies are to blame - yes. Greedy profit making organisations. However, we consumers are just as much to blame too.

I have no idea. I dont know how they are made or what they are made from.

I dont know what her profit margins are. I dont know where her materials are sourced from.

For designer nonsense possibly not.

You can buy dresses as £5,000 suits for £3,000

Pens and watches at £1,000+

Rarity of something, if something is bespoke, materials used, service provided, demand for something can also push up prices in a business. You could argue that an Aston Martin is just a glorified Ford. Therefore its £125,000 price tag is just blatent profiteering. However, I bet many would see things differently.

Besides, when talking about manufacture im talking about real world things that everyone buys not just a handful of designer things for silly Sloane Square types.

Proper manufacturing of things people need and demand has been driven abroad becuase we simply cannot compete. We consumers demand cheaper and cheaper. If we dont get we now have ways and means of finding it. We go abroad on holiday and buy things to bring home. We order directly off the internet from offshore based companies. We flood into discount warehouses and poundstores filled with imported foreign brands and "fake" labels all being sold for pennies. We flood into sports stores buying up branded gear we know full well has been made in sweatshops in the far east.

If you want to change something. You have to change the attitudes of the consumer first.

Mary Portas did a tv experiment on trying to bring back british manufacturing. It was interesting watching the struggle to try to convert people into paying just a few pounds more to buy british. People should take a look and see the struggle to source british made materials at a reasonable cost and pay a british workforce without making the price for people on the streets too high that they wont pay and make enough product to allow any sort of profit.

This is the problem we are in. Companies are to blame - yes. Greedy profit making organisations. However, we consumers are just as much to blame too.

Well I can't help but agree with most of that.

So what do we do about it? Can you think of a solution? I'm sure I can't.

Archived