No jobs just profits..

It is the right of every business person to do as they please as far as I can see. They can hire fire as long as they are making a profit and paying the government taxes.

Employers like the NHS employ immigrants because they have failed to invest in the needs of the service to nurture and train people here. Instead it is a quick fix employing immigrants from countries who have a far better education and understanding of what life is about and are prepared to work.

British education is a farce which does not prepare young people to aspire or work hard in order to achieve a good standard of living.

It is the right of every business person to do as they please as far as I can see. They can hire fire as long as they are making a profit and paying the government taxes.

Employers like the NHS employ immigrants because they have failed to invest in the needs of the service to nurture and train people here. Instead it is a quick fix employing immigrants from countries who have a far better education and understanding of what life is about and are prepared to work.

British education is a farce which does not prepare young people to aspire or work hard in order to achieve a good standard of living.

I don't think it's fair to blame British education. All the teachers I know are continually working very hard to inspire and educate some increasingly difficult and deluded students.

Teachers are up against a culture of instant gratification and a 'famous for being famous' culture. Many kids ambitions go no further than wanting to marry a footballer or be on a reality TV programme, but it's not for the teacher's want of trying.

I also think you're being unfair to a whole raft of kids who are hard working and desperately want to be given a chance to show what they can do, but are not being given the opportunity. Any ambitions they might have are further hindered by the cost of university.

I do agree however that a lot more time and effort needs to be put into quality careers education / planning, which should have a higher priority in the curriculum. from a very early age, and also into the nuts and bolts of life, like punctuality, self discipline, and taking responsibility for oneself.

I don't think it's fair to blame British education. All the teachers I know are continually working very hard to inspire and educate an increasingly difficult students.

Teachers are up against a culture of instant gratification and a 'famous for being famous' type of mindset.

Genuine question Anna.. how do our kids attainments compare to those in other countries..? How "well educated" are we really?

So are you saying they are incompetent of countering that culture

It is an overwhelming and sophisticated culture, promoted by multi billion dollar media enterprises and enormous marketing funds, presenting celebrity and sensation in a slick, glossy format. That's not an easy phenomenon to counter in a 55 minute geography lesson.

---------- Post added 07-08-2013 at 14:02 ----------

Genuine question Anna.. how do our kids attainments compare to those in other countries..? How "well educated" are we really?

Do you mean in contrast with high tax, socially equitable countries such as Finland (the most successful education system in the world) and Denmark (not far behind Finland)?

Tinfoilhat quotes us as 6th, but it depends whose statistics you use.

Scandinavian countries are well respected and I believe Finland actually comes out top in some polls.

America is quite a way down and yet we often seem to copy their model for some reason.

From personal experience I would say that when it's good, it's excellent, and for those that want to learn it works well, but there is a growing concern with kids who simply don't value education, and can't be 'made' to learn. In my opinion this attitude starts in the home. Teachers used to have ways and means for reaching these kids, but all too often these days they are restricted by rigid curriculums and attainment targets that do nothing to help inspire this sort of kid.

Incidently, I don't know if this is significant, but I once had a lovely Chinese child in my class. She was able to read and write at the age of three thanks to 'hothousing,' but found it almost impossible to 'create'. She couldn't think up stories, or, if you put paper and paint in front of her and give her a free hand, she was lost. I understand Chinese education to be strongly 'rote' based.

Creativity, however, and creative thinking seems to be a strong trait in British kids, and we excell at it.

Unfortunately we don't seem to invest enough in new ideas and ideas people, and this is where future growth will probably come from.

Do you mean in contrast with high tax, socially equitable countries such as Finland (the most successful education system in the world) and Denmark (not far behind Finland)?

Why not include Singapore in your list,it's not very socially cohesive either http://thehearttruths.com/2013/02/21/singapore-has-the-highest-income-inequality-compared-to-the-oecd-countries/ ? or Hong Kong... both above us in the posted link and both with a lower tax take than the UK ..there's more to it than the tax take of a country...

Archived