Did they know the meteor that hit russia was coming?

As there tracking the flight paths of some 3000 plus meteors on a daily basis,reckon its safe to say they knew about the one that eventually came down in the urals.

Are you sure... I don't think we have the capacity to detect or track the vast majority of <1km sized asteroids that are flying around. And this one was a much smaller size, I forget exactly, but we're talking about the size of a bus or something.

Are you sure... I don't think we have the capacity to detect or track the vast majority of <1km sized asteroids that are flying around. And this one was a much smaller size, I forget exactly, but we're talking about the size of a bus or something.

I thought we only tracked the big uns, not that we can do much about em lol

Most of those hurt, in the Chelyabinsk region where meteorites fell, suffered cuts and bruises but at least 46 remain in hospital.

---------- Post added 18-02-2013 at 08:22 ----------

Chelyabinsk's health department said 985 people had sought medical treatment, including 204 children, Interfax reported. Two people in the town of Kopeysk were in a serious condition

the short answer is , no they didn't

they are tracking a lot of larger ones, and the smaller ones they know about, but a lot of them are literally not on the radar till it's too late

If there had been 3-4 hours difference in the timing ( very small margin in cosmic terms) then it could possibly have impacted on the UK...there's a lot less "spare" land here so could possibly have hit a city..

Archived