Animal DNA found in 'vegetarian' food? Would that be a bigger scandal?

I think it would be the same level of seriousness. For those of you who choose to eat dead animals, unwittingly eating animals that have not been reared to the appropriate standards to be part of the food chain is a problem. To those of us who choose to not to eat dead animals, unwittingly eating them is a problem.

Luckily, I'm not aware that dead stuff had made its way into vegetarian food (apart from the restaurants that have no idea that some cheese isn't vegetarian) so I think I'm ok

Wasn't there some found in a batch of Linda McCartney's packaged stuff a while ago?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/vegetarian-pies-laced-with-meat-1556546.html

The forum is for discussions. If you have nothing to contribute just read and move on :) x

They have contributed by asking a reasonable question, if you had put IF at the beggining of the thread title there wouldn't have been any confusion.

But additionally there is a serious ethical angle to it because a good proportion of such meals are eaten by people who have made their own ethical decision not to eat meat..

Yes, it depends on whether you are satisfied to eat vegetarian to save money, or because it's basically healthier, or whether your vegetarianism is a matter of "religious" observance.

To the first group, a little animal in the food may not matter; but to the second, it may be the equivalent of (say) accidentally touching a pig to followers of certain religions; "Wash in water, and be unclean until the evening" is Biblical

Would this be a more serious issue than horse or pork in beef?

Yes because most carnivors arnt that picky especialy as its in the value range and to have any form of meat in it at all is a bonus but if a vegitarian sniffs meat they become offended.

They will probably start marching round in their jesus sandals declaring it an outrage.

The forum is for discussions. If you have nothing to contribute just read and move on :) x

Please don't try to kiss me electronically. :gag:You don't even know me.

And I was merely highlighting the confusion in your opening post. It was unclear whether animal DNA had been found in vegetarian ready meals, or whether you were wondering what it would mean if it were. There's difference.

They have contributed by asking a reasonable question, if you had put IF at the beggining of the thread title there wouldn't have been any confusion.

Thanks to mafya for confirming that.

Yea cause I DNA test all my food :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 18-02-2013 at 13:09 ----------

Please don't try to kiss me electronically. :gag:You don't even know me.

And I was merely highlighting the confusion in your opening post. It was unclear whether animal DNA had been found in vegetarian ready meals, or whether you were wondering what it would mean if it were. There's difference.

Thanks to mafya for confirming that.

And your opinion on the matter is?... :P

In this corrupt world of ours, is it not feasible that almost unimaginable things could, and probably are happening within the general food chain?

There may be a general consensus of opinion that the horse meet scandal is only a recent event. Just because people have not been experiencing the trots does not mean that it has not been going on for many years. If it was not for DNA technology we would still probably not have found out.

If one begins to think of what is actually possible, it is quite reasonable to believe that dogs have entered the food chain. Why not? As far as the horse perpetrators are concerned-where does their moral conscience actually point to?

There was a Chinese restaurant raided in Sheffield (Meadowhall area), and the inspectors found dogs in the freezer. Now, keep in mind that we are generally talking about processed food. If those dogs had been processed (minced up and mixed with other foodstuffs) would the inspectors have even had a clue what was going on? If people will deceive us in this way, just imagine what may be happening in respect of food hygiene.

OK, we have to eat. My advice to anyone is to avoid all kinds of processed food as much as possible. Eat fresh, and do the processing yourself.

In this corrupt world of ours, is it not feasible that almost unimaginable things could, and probably are happening within the general food chain?

There may be a general consensus of opinion that the horse meet scandal is only a recent event. Just because people have not been experiencing the trots does not mean that it has not been going on for many years. If it was not for DNA technology we would still probably not have found out.

If one begins to think of what is actually possible, it is quite reasonable to believe that dogs have entered the food chain. Why not? As far as the horse perpetrators are concerned-where does their moral conscience actually point to?

There was a Chinese restaurant raided in Sheffield (Meadowhall area), and the inspectors found dogs in the freezer. Now, keep in mind that we are generally talking about processed food. If those dogs had been processed (minced up and mixed with other foodstuffs) would the inspectors have even had a clue what was going on? If people will deceive us in this way, just imagine what may be happening in respect of food hygiene.

OK, we have to eat. My advice to anyone is to avoid all kinds of processed food as much as possible. Eat fresh, and do the processing yourself.

Was there?:gag: Was this in the news?

I agree though. The long and convoluted supply chains pass through some dodgy countries where mafia type criminals control whole industries. I bet it's not unheard of for their human enemies to go through the mincers as well as all manner of other stuff not declared on the label.

Archived