All good Tories should support a mansion tax

No I can't, indeed it would be difficult to link the amount of tax charged on a specific item to the income of the person purchasing it.

The best that can be done when the general class of items spans a large cost base is to apply progressive banding... Which is exactly how stamp duty works.

All expenditure taxes are regressive which is why right-wing thinkers advocate their use,and feel they can defend them as they seem voluntary.People opt to use gas ,electricity which Tories and their friends think they could manage without.I assume you favour this approach.

All expenditure taxes are regressive which is why right-wing thinkers advocate their use,and feel they can defend them as they seem voluntary.People opt to use gas ,electricity which Tories and their friends think they could manage without.I assume you favour this approach.

Would you explain how a progressive expenditure tax would work?

People do actually opt to buy larger and more expensive houses...

Are you describing the Lib Dems as right wing?

You should become an economics lecturer and be paid for all the time expended on this point.
No need to be consistently narky. I can't help having an opinion contrary to yours: I rely on logic, not the politics of envy. Live with it.

You can't afford me anyway :D

To summarise,and forget Wikiwatsit

Stamp Duty is regressive within a bad but is progressive between bands.end of.........

Have you considered becoming an economics lecturer? :D

And well done for evading the VAT question,using the omission of a single letter to evade your task.Perhaps you are a lawyer?
How was I supposed to understand that "AT" in your question in the chain of posts was supposed to mean "VAT"? What has it got to do with stamp duty?

And why should I have to explain why it is regressive? or progressive? or proportional? Just because you asked? With that attitude of yours?

Would you explain how a progressive expenditure tax would work?

It would n't so not possible to explain.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 22:23 ----------

No need to be consistently narky. I can't help having an opinion contrary to yours: I rely on logic, not the politics of envy. Live with it.

You can't afford me anyway :D

Have you considered becoming an economics lecturer? :D

How was I supposed to understand that "AT" in your question in the chain of posts was supposed to mean "VAT"? What has it got to do with stamp duty?

And why should I have to explain why it is regressive? or progressive? or proportional? Just because you asked? With that attitude of yours?

Well if you cannot or will not explain your comments lack validity.VAT and Stamp Duty are related as both are regressive.The politics of envy is a cliche oui?

Well if you cannot or will not explain your comments lack validity.
My explanation of why stamp duty is progressive, in my earlier post, lacks validity because I won't explain why VAT is regressive? :huh:

I think it's your logic which lacks validity.

Go on, have the last word if it makes you feel better. It looks to be very much a one-sided dialogue, "the world according gnvqos or else", so I'm out of this thread.

My explanation of why stamp duty is progressive, in my earlier post, lacks validity because I won't explain why VAT is regressive? :huh:

I think it's your logic which lacks validity.

Go on, have the last word if it makes you feel better. It looks to be very much a one-sided dialogue, "the world according gnvqos or else", so I'm out of this thread.

If you cannot grasp regressive taxation then implicitly an understanding of its antithesis is impossible.

Archived