Bardwells

Noticed the shutters down a lot recently.

Sad news.

They were very good value but some of the stuff they sold is stupidly cheap on Amazon am guessing no way could you pay salaries rent ect and make a profit if they matched.

My Dad took me to Bardwells when I was about 6-7 it took two bus rides from Darnall. I remember the first piece of 'junk' I got then, an old vacuum display calculator from their floor scrapings. It left me fascinated with electronics from then on leading to a Career. I have grown up with Bardwells since then and remember us going there at school lunchtimes from Rowlinson to get bits for projects (you could just make it on the 75 there and back) Reg was so funny. I actually cried this morning when I heard from my sister that they have closed.

So sad. RIP Bardies.

Went in their Sellars Street shop often.

Bought a Morse tapping key and they had some glass prisms, apparently ex navy stock out of submarines. We walked around looking through the world at different angles with the colours of the rainbow around everything.

The long term effect of being able to buy on line could be more than disastrous for small businesses,

Anyone remember the mechanical bomb sight computers from Bardwell's Sellars Street days (around 1966)? They cost £5 & consisted of a load of brass cogwheels held in a green tubular frame. I was very tempted to buy one, but could think of no earthly use for it.

Anyone remember the muted murmur of oh for frig sake when someone at the front of the queue put something on the counter saying now I want some advice on this I don't know if I should use 3 ohms capacitors or 5 what do you think ? :D

Don't think many of bardwells customers would think capacitance is measured in ohms ,but yes they were always ready to advise on component choice sometimes another customer in the queue would join in the conversation soon the whole shop would be discussing the project,bit like a club.I started buying from them in the early sixties from sellers st.building all manner of stuff from crystal sets to valve amps and mixing desks,all the bits were on the counter or in little cubby holes with stickers on .That shop was part of my childhood and will be sadly missed,it even had its own smell.