Bardwells

That's sad, this is on their website

"Bardwells is now CLOSED

"It is with heavy hearts that after more than 70 years in business, serving the good people of Sheffield and the surrounding areas with some of the best electronic components available, we must now close Bardwells.

"We are no longer open for business, either on the Web or from our shop on Abbeydale Road.

"Thank you for your valued custom over the years, and we wish you all the best.

"Chris & Lorraine Bardwell 30/06/17"

• 4 months later...

I also started going to Bardwells in the mid 60's. I'd be about 11 at the time, our telly blew up, and my dad asked someone at work what could be wrong, and he pointed me to the main smoothing capacitor and told me where to find Bardwells. One new cap later (soldered in with a soldering iron heated up in the coal fire) and we had a working TV again!

I still remember the sign which went something like "Please do not ask for credit as a smack in the nose often offends" at the counter.

If I remember correctly the lad in the chair was the only non relative working there, and had them done for constructive dismissal - good old Reg was always a joker.