Paid vs Free anti-virus

anniec

Lol! - There's NO guarantees/recompense in the event of infection when using paid-for anti-virus. There are FAR too many variables.

All you get with paid-for is a fancier GUI and maybe a few more options like parental controls (which isn't necessary since that feature is built in to windows)

I wasn't talking about infections or recompense or anything else. I was talking in general with a paid item you in effect have a "comeback" if your not happy for any reason.

How can you complain about something your not happy about if it was free?

I wasn't talking about infections or recompense or anything else. I was talking in general with a paid item you in effect have a "comeback" if your not happy for any reason.

You uninstall it and use another. It's that simple. Those that make the software will have some form of tracking, probably based on update file downloads to see how many people are using the software. A large exodus of users would show on that figure and the company would then look into reasons why.

A lot of free software these days also request feedback by a form triggered by the un-install process.

there's the rub: what are you going to complain about, with an AV package (free or paid-for)? :huh:

It's not as if the AV vendor is going to buy you a new PC or refund you stolen monies :rolleyes:

It is entirely a personal choice. As has been said, some of the free ones are persistently 'nagging' to upgrade and that really is a nuisance. Microsoft Security Essentials is light and unobtrusive but I recently read that it's performance in detection is not up to some AVs. I prefer the paid-for Kaspersky ISS for several reasons. I also get it at a reduced price from my bank. Your own bank might have a similar scheme if you do online banking.

Agree 100% Personally I used Comodo but found the 'Do you want to install this programme' nag grinding after the 10th time ATM I use MSE

there's the rub: what are you going to complain about, with an AV package (free or paid-for)? :huh:

It's not as if the AV vendor is going to buy you a new PC or refund you stolen monies :rolleyes:

There are people who listen to what others say and those who if they want your opinion they will give it to you (from both free and paid for sides)

No, I know they're not going to buy me a new PC or refund any stolen monies. however as a paying customer, under the consumer protection act 1987, the product should be as advertised and fit for purpose. As a paying customer, I have every right to act on any false promises made by any company not adhering to that promise.

Do you have this back up with any free item, be it software or anything else.

I have never had any problems with BullGuard and would recommend to anyone.

If free works for you then good luck to you, no need to flame people who prefer to pay for stuff. Also paying for stuff supports jobs and creates jobs, be it in any industry.

No, I know they're not going to buy me a new PC or refund any stolen monies. however as a paying customer, under the consumer protection act 1987, the product should be as advertised and fit for purpose. As a paying customer, I have every right to act on any false promises made by any company not adhering to that promise.

I think you should go and read the Terms and Conditions of the software. Pay particular attention to the bit that says something along the lines of "reserve the right to change the parameters of the software without notice".

Also there as in the case of AV software there will also be a clause in there stating that there is no guarantee that the software will be effective.

So there goes your Consumer protection act . . .

It's all well and good waving legal acts about. You need to UNDERSTAND them to use them correctly.

No flaming at all, I just don't understand this particular argument, which is pretty much redundant where software is concerned (because efficiency is never guaranteed -that's standard in most EULAs I have ever seen- and neither is performance due to the immensely-fragmented nature of the PC hardware market -again see most EULAs-). Where AV in particular is concerned, in any case, the best (free/paid) app is only ever as good as its last update, and that's the subject of yet another get-out-of-dodge clause to be found in the EULA.

Different kettle of fish if the software is so bug-ridden that it needs megs & megs of patches to run at all, of course...but then why buy it in the first place? ;)

I can fully understand a perceived safety factor from buying a commercial product rather than using a free alternative, but when the free alternative is demonstrably proven (in comparative tests) to be just as good as commercial products X, Y & Z...why buy them?

Hey-ho & all that, glad you're happy with BullGuard. It's your money, it's a free country, etc, etc. All that said, I object to your freeloading jibe, though: I pay for plenty of stuff indeed, when they offer relevant & commensurate value. I don't believe in spending money for the sake of it, though ;)

I think you should go and read the Terms and Conditions of the software. Pay particular attention to the bit that says something along the lines of "reserve the right to change the parameters of the software without notice".

Also there as in the case of AV software there will also be a clause in there stating that there is no guarantee that the software will be effective.

So there goes your Consumer protection act . . .

It's all well and good waving legal acts about. You need to UNDERSTAND them to use them correctly.

Like I said earlier, You stick with your freebies. Oh and if you read my thread again, I was on about "paying" in general not just AV programs :loopy:

you will never convert me to freeware.

---------- Post added 18-02-2013 at 23:14 ----------

No flaming at all, I just don't understand this particular argument, which is pretty much redundant where software is concerned (because efficiency is never guaranteed -that's standard in most EULAs I have ever seen- and neither is performance due to the immensely-fragmented nature of the hardware market -again see most EULAs-).

Different kettle of fish if the software is so bug-ridden that it needs megs & megs of patches to run at all, of course...but then why buy it in the first place? ;)

I can fully understand a perceived safety factor from buying a commercial product rather than using a free alternative, but when the free alternative is demonstrably proven (in comparative tests) to be just as good as commercial products X, Y & Z...why buy them?

Hey-ho & all that, glad you're happy with BullGuard. It's your money, it's a free country, etc, etc.

There wasn't any argument, I posted my preference the same as anyone else and you didn't like it :roll: that's your problem, not mine.

Archived