Paid vs Free anti-virus

anniec

Clearly not the full suite then. Another programme that will probably just nag and nag until you upgrade.

Yes, its is - the upgrade only gets you support and a 'guarante' - not extra features.

'Unlike the stripped down versions of commercial software that other software vendors offer for free, this is the full, completely functional version of the product.

Users can upgrade to Comodo Internet Security Pro 2013 for just $19.99 per year and receive unlimited live expert virus removal services and our exclusive Virus Free Guarantee.'

Peronsally, I wouldn't use a suite, paid for or free - but if its a suite you want then Comodo is available for nowt.

Like I said earlier, You stick with your freebies. Oh and if you read my thread again, I was on about "paying" in general not just AV programs :loopy:

you will never convert me to freeware.

I have read your posts. Nowhere have you mentioned or inferred other software outside the AV genre, which is what the topic is about.

Let face it, you've had your opinion dismissed by fact and now you've a massive chip on your shoulder. Just quit the butthurt replies and carry on.

I'm a pussy cat irl :hihi: I'm not suggesting that nothing comes free, I just prefer to pay. Like I've said if free works for anyone else that's up to them.

I expressed a preference on my first post the same as other posters. I really have not got a problem with freeware, I just prefer to buy my software.

Firefox?

Chrome?

iTunes?

utorrent?

Open Office?

Spotify?

FeedDemon?

VLC?

Security Essentials?

Malwarebytes?

CCleaner?

Paint.net?

Picasa?

Flash?

DeFraggler?

7 Zip?

Skype?

Are you saying you don't use any of the above?

I don't use a single paid for piece of software on my Windows PC - I can't imagine why I would when there are so many free options available?

[EDIT: I lied - I have a license for Malwarebytes Pro, but only paid about £8 for a lifetime activation]

Let face it, you've had your opinion dismissed by fact and now you've a massive chip on your shoulder. Just quit the butthurt replies and carry on.

How can you possibly dismiss someone's opinion, that's impossible, an opinion is not necessarily fact. :loopy:

"In general, an opinion is a belief about matters commonly considered to be subjective, i.e., it is based on that which is less than absolutely certain, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion

My opinion remains the same and wont change, I prefer the "bought" and as someone has mentioned "internet security suites" rather than the free ones, be them "AV" or suites or whatever they are.

If that gives me a chip on my shoulder then so be it, you believe whatever you want to believe.

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 17:50 ----------

Firefox?

Chrome?

iTunes?

utorrent?

Open Office?

Spotify?

FeedDemon?

VLC?

Security Essentials?

Malwarebytes?

CCleaner?

Paint.net?

Picasa?

Flash?

DeFraggler?

7 Zip?

Skype?

Are you saying you don't use any of the above?

I don't use a single paid for piece of software on my Windows PC - I can't imagine why I would when there are so many free options available?

[EDIT: I lied - I have a license for Malwarebytes Pro, but only paid about £8 for a lifetime activation]

You missed one :hihi: Spybot search and destroy, Used that in the past.

Used I tunes in the past, used open office in the past, but prefer M$ office, got flash player installed, are there other options to that? Not used any of the others. Bullguard does what I want it to security wise so why would I need 15 other security programs on?

Oh I got java installed to.

I didn't realise how emotive this subject was! interesting reading all the different opinions.

Its no so much that it's emotive it's just that some posters think that if they repeat a thing enough everyone will believe it to be fact

Contrary to some posters belief NO AV manufacturers will reimburse you for any damage done to your PC by a virus that is missed by your software whether it is free or paid for

Use an AV either stand alone or a suite as long as it is up to date then depending on your Browsing habits you should be safe

There used to be a poster on here that was always asking advice then arguing against what was offered

eg:- IE acording to him is the best browser none are as good, his dad has a problem what can he do to solve it then he can't do anything anyone said as his dad wouldn't let him do anything

My Fav

"Topic.

We have LibreOffice on Dad's PC but it doesn't support the MS Office Word document file format.

I've tried to download OpenOffice but it says it doesn't have a UK download link on http://www.openoffice.org.

Can anyone help? "

When shown that LO does support .doc and that there IS a UK site he then goes on that after being asked " what does it mater where the download site is?"

"Foreign downloads = Foreign language software, I do not speak Chinese/Russian/Etc.

Do you see?"

He then gives a link to which he had a reply

to the bold bit

"To you, me and 99.9999% others no, but to the OP it does

on the link he give it offers you the mirror sites in

A) AARNet (Melbourne, Australia, AU)

B) HEAnet (Ireland, IE)

and

C) Voxel Hosting (New York, NY, US)

All speaking English in those countries as far as i know

How can you possibly dismiss someone's opinion, that's impossible, an opinion is not necessarily fact. :loopy:

"In general, an opinion is a belief about matters commonly considered to be subjective, i.e., it is based on that which is less than absolutely certain, and is the result of emotion or interpretation of facts."

My opinion remains the same and wont change, I prefer the "bought" and as someone has mentioned "internet security suites" rather than the free ones, be them "AV" or suites or whatever they are.

If that gives me a chip on my shoulder then so be it, you believe whatever you want to believe.

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 17:50 ----------

You missed one :hihi: Spybot search and destroy, Used that in the past.

Used I tunes in the past, used open office in the past, but prefer M$ office, got flash player installed, are there other options to that? Not used any of the others. Bullguard does what I want it to security wise so why would I need 15 other security programs on?

Oh I got java installed to.

See - you DO use freeware! :hihi::hihi:

Not sure why you think you need '15 other programs' - MS Essentials will protect you just fine.

You should remove Java by the way - unless you use it for something specifically (unlikely).

I don't know why I've got drawn in to this - when it comes to PC security everyone is different - whatever works for you is the best solution.

There used to be a poster on here that was always asking advice then arguing against what was offered

eg:- IE acording to him is the best browser none are as good, his dad has a problem what can he do to solve it then he can't do anything anyone said as his dad wouldn't let him do anything

My Fav

"Topic.

We have LibreOffice on Dad's PC but it doesn't support the MS Office Word document file format.

I've tried to download OpenOffice but it says it doesn't have a UK download link on http://www.openoffice.org.

Can anyone help? "

When shown that LO does support .doc and that there IS a UK site he then goes on that after being asked " what does it mater where the download site is?"

"Foreign downloads = Foreign language software, I do not speak Chinese/Russian/Etc.

Do you see?"

He then gives a link to which he had a reply

to the bold bit

"To you, me and 99.9999% others no, but to the OP it does

on the link he give it offers you the mirror sites in

A) AARNet (Melbourne, Australia, AU)

B) HEAnet (Ireland, IE)

and

C) Voxel Hosting (New York, NY, US)

All speaking English in those countries as far as i know

Haha! Made me chuckle :hihi:

When an opinion is based on a fallacy then it's quite easy to dismiss an opinion.

Just last week on another forum someone posted that it was his opinion that Darwin was wrong with his evolution theory. I asked him what his scientific background was (none) and then produced several links to documents from the scientific community PROVING Darwin correct without a shadow of a doubt.

Archived