The Stone Bridge Lost In The Flood!

old tup

Heres one for the history buffs on the forum,does anyone know when the old stone bridge at the end of Liversey Street lost in the recent floods was built and by whom?.On Picture Sheffield there are a few pictures of it around the early 1900s and I have always wondered who built it,it was a substantial strong bridge but it succumbed to the strong flood waters none the less!.:confused::huh:

Heres one for the history buffs on the forum,does anyone know when the old stone bridge at the end of Liversey Street lost in the recent floods was built and by whom?.On Picture Sheffield there are a few pictures of it around the early 1900s and I have always wondered who built it,it was a substantial strong bridge but it succumbed to the strong flood waters none the less!.:confused::huh:

That was the second time it was damaged in a flood in 1880 and had to be rebuilt.

It was possibly owned by a M.G.Burgoyne,

Jonathan Proctor builder may have got the job.

I remember reading somewhere that one of the Burgoyne’s built Livesey Street and so presumably, the bridge. He then charged each funeral 6d for the privilege of using it!!

When I lived down Llvesey Street from 1943 as a nipper it was a dirt track with no proper surface some of the puddles in the winter time were epic more like ponds!.I can,t remember the date it was turned into a proper tarmac road it must have been late 40s early 50s,the field behind the dog track I remember was all overgrown derelict allotments which were cleared and grassed over and made into a football pitch which Sheffield Wednesday used to train on.You could see them from our kitchen window,the players had to walk from Hillsborough down Penistone Rd,through the dog track carrying large string bags full of caseballs,I bet todays players wouldn,t be too keen on that!.:suspect::roll:

Archived