A carer who never claimed carer's allowance!

We were claiming DLA and ESA for my teenage daughter as she went to a special needs college for some of the week.I had the carer's component of the DLA to.Someone said to myself I was entitled to Carers allowance 8 weeks after my daughters death.I hadn't noticed any payments go into my bank so gave them a ring today( her DLA and ESA used to go into my bank).I was told I had never claimed carer's allowance in the 4 years I was her carer but they did see I had the care component of DLA.My husband had told me they were the same thing back then.So the lady on the phone said I could not claim back that far but may still get it back dated for the 3 months before she passed away.

We've lost a lot of money over the years and I feel stupid for believing my husband about the DLA care component being the same as carer's allowance! Well I've put my claim in today for back dating 3 months from her death like the lady advised.

I'm sure that she is proud, but I'm also sure that it would have been just a small amount less dreadful without having to worry quite so much about paying the bills whilst also caring for a child who is terminally ill.

This is one bug bear that I have with the various government advice services. Unless you happen to know the name of a particular benefit and ask specifically about it, you don't get any information about it at all, not even a 'would you like an information pack about the various benefits?' or similar.

It's all very well if you do know the names for all of the different things you have to apply for, but if you are just starting out then you end up missing out on things that actually help just because you don't know that they exist in the first place.

It would of helped until I got myself a job.That is a job in it's self from what I've seen on the tv lately. I've been out of work caring for her for 4 years.

It may of seemed heartless my opening post but I guess it was more of self pity. I have posted a tribute thread to her on here and videos of her on youtube.She was always my priority.The carer's allowance would of helped us both do more.

Blondie73:

Don't let some of the people here put you down, there really are some horrid and and vicious people here who just post with the only intention of being abraisive.

They obviously have little else to do or they wouldn't be here, so they are to be pitied.

Archived