A carer who never claimed carer's allowance!

It would of helped until I got myself a job.That is a job in it's self from what I've seen on the tv lately. I've been out of work caring for her for 4 years.

It may of seemed heartless my opening post but I guess it was more of self pity. I have posted a tribute thread to her on here and videos of her on youtube.She was always my priority.The carer's allowance would of helped us both do more.

Its not heartless, its just another frustrating thing that can happen when you don't know everything about the benefits system. I'm sorry about your daughter, and I know money doesn't make up for what happened but it would have helped at the time.

Years ago I was frustrated by the system just as you are because I was given some information that turned out not to be helpful. My husband was extremely ill with heart failure, he couldn't walk more than a few yards without stopping. At the same time I was made redundant, and although I got another job, it was on a lot less money. I asked the benefits agency in Rotherham what we could claim, and they said we weren't entitled to anything other than incapacity benefit because I was working. After he had a heart bypass, the social workers in the NGH said he should have been claiming DLA. He missed out because we didn't know the system, and like you we couldn't claim retrospectively. It's a bummer, and I sympathise.

---------- Post added 18-02-2013 at 22:42 ----------

I don't think anyone is trying to put the OP down .To be honest and without offending anyone.If i was in that situation and i hope i never will be ,money would be the last thing on my mind .

Well, we're all different. Her post may help someone else in the same situation to get the financial help they need. Worrying about money when a family member is seriously ill helps no-one.

Speechless.Is money that important.

I am quite speechless at your callous remark.

The lady has tirelessly cared for her daughter and devoted herself more than any paid carer could that would have cost ten times more than she could claim.

It is only people who have never known real financial hardship that can scoff at others who are FORCED to think about money, when that is the last thing they want to be thinking about. Do you get it?

Are you one of the Daily Mail readers who believe that all benefits claimants are scroungers? She's that much of a scrounger that she hasn't even been claiming for what she is definitely entitled to. In that sense, she's got a lot in common with the majority of people in this country who actually don't claim what they are entitled to. Not like our bloody MPs, who want us to turn on the poor and label them scroungers!

I don't think anyone is trying to put the OP down .To be honest and without offending anyone.If i was in that situation and i hope i never will be ,money would be the last thing on my mind .

Trust me.....if that time comes you will be concerned about money.

Until you are in that position, feel free to put the OP down.

So sorry for your loss Blondie.

I stopped work to care for my wife diagnosed with cancer.

No one tells you what you are entitled to claim.

Bills still need paying.....

Carers allowance wasn't payable until the day the doctors mentioned "terminal".

I claimed for the last few weeks of her life.....

Then I was informed I could claim for a further eight weeks following the death...

This is to pay for expenses incurred in arranging the funeral, obtaining a death certificate....you are deemed to be still be in a caring roll attending to the deceased affairs.

Again...no one informed me of "bereavement allowance".

Some weeks after, I started to get my head together and used Google.

Bereavement allowance was payable...so I claimed.

Bereavement allowance was indeed payable.....

The sting in the tail......it was paid for the first eight weeks minus the carers allowance entitlement for those weeks.

You can't have both apparently!

And before anyone labels me in the scrounges category ......I worked for 43 years and paid my taxes like any other PAYE employee.

Expecting help in times of trouble is not unreasonable.

Apparently this government thinks otherwise.

So yes Mr Gobby......money is important in troubled times.

Suggesting otherwise is callous.

This is one bug bear that I have with the various government advice services. Unless you happen to know the name of a particular benefit and ask specifically about it, you don't get any information about it at all, not even a 'would you like an information pack about the various benefits?' or similar.

Of course you don't get information before you ask. Why should you? There are over 60 million people in this country and the state can't keep contacting us all on the off chance we may be entitled to something. I missed out on something recently because I assumed I wouldn't be entitled. Then I found out I was and don't blame anyone but myself.

Anyway there's no guarantee that the OP would have been eligible for CA anyway as the rules go deeper than the cared for person getting the care component of DLA. The care component has to be at least middle rate and the carer has to provide at least 35 hours of care a week, not earn over £100 from a job, as well as other limitations. It may well be that the OP was eligible - it's impossible to tell - but don't blame the state if she missed out.

not if on top of losing your daughter you were struggling to pay for food and heating. Think, then post!

We were claiming DLA and ESA for my teenage daughter as she went to a special needs college for some of the week.I had the carer's component of the DLA to.Someone said to myself I was entitled to Carers allowance 8 weeks after my daughters death.I hadn't noticed any payments go into my bank so gave them a ring today( her DLA and ESA used to go into my bank).I was told I had never claimed carer's allowance in the 4 years I was her carer but they did see I had the care component of DLA.My husband had told me they were the same thing back then.So the lady on the phone said I could not claim back that far but may still get it back dated for the 3 months before she passed away.

We've lost a lot of money over the years and I feel stupid for believing my husband about the DLA care component being the same as carer's allowance! Well I've put my claim in today for back dating 3 months from her death like the lady advised.

So..... Since your daughter has passed away does the money really have any relevance ?, I would have thought getting some money was the last oohing on your mind tbh....

Archived