Opinions on new Club Uniq (formerly ice bar/orchis)

peacenlove

Club Uniq, I...  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Club Uniq, I...

• Love it!
    • Hate it!
    • Preferred it as Ice Bar/Orchis
    • Don't care, haven't been, don't wanna!

Haha... is that that how they're spelling it? What a bunch of retards. Sounds about as unique as a cornflake. What was the music policy again? Funky house and soul/funk upstairs? Sounds like a 21st C Blairite lets-all-be-cosmopolitan urban socialite bar culture sanitised wet dream. Look at my 83 haircuts.

It's not 'uniq' is it?

Somewhere for the sheep to go, I guess.

I've just realised that 'sanitised wet dream' is quite probably an oxymoron.

And I bet 'soul/funk' adds up to an incomplete collection of Norman Jay's "Good Times" Cds.

That wouldnt be a bad thing - they're top compilations...

I'm not disputing that. The point I'm trying to make is that the collections dig a little deeper than the mainstream, and as such they should inspire people to do the same: seek, and ye shall find, and all that bo****ks - rather than playing them out and making them sound tired. Soul music, especially the Northern stuff, was the first to recognize "The Underground ", because when you have a large room of people madly into the sound, having it large, and generally rioting to the beat, the concept of charts etc. becomes irrelevant. All I meant was: such compilations should inspire DJs to have a look for themselves, and not JUST play them (I mean, they should play them a bit, if they've got wicked tracks on). It's a balance, innit, between entertaining and educating.

The rash of "soul nights" which exploded on West Street about 2 years ago (thankfully subsiding now) basically consisted of pub jukebox/wedding tracks. I mean, everyone loves a bit of Luther (RIP) or Gwen McCrae or The Emotions or whatever, but Soul music is and should be about more than that. Not some Time Life/Readers Digest Sunday afternoon regurgitation.

What the hell am I talking about?

Dropped in over the weekend- downstairs is apparently refurbished :hihi: - a lick of paint doesnt really qualify. The place is still a dive tho I overheard the manageress woman saying she hope to attract a better class of clientele- not likely, not only is more like a scruffy student union joint, but the door staff were the rudest apes I have ever encountered, and this was when the place was still empty so they hadnt had chance to get abused by drunken revellers yet. I was approached by two who barked in my ears "get yer coat off, get upstairs or get out. I got out- and wont be going back:nono:

Better people expect better service.

the door staff were the rudest apes I have ever encountered

They have to be licensed, but no legal requirement to be nice to be people. Shame, as some can be very chatty and helpful while others are the lowest species known to man (not going to post the name of the club though I refer to)

Archived