Ordinary people should know their place!

Yes, they were.

It was stated that it is one of the characterizing features.

Which it is. But it is not the only characterizing feature. Nobody stated it was the only characterizing feature. Both Oxbridge unis offer courses like medicine, engineering etc... Even qualifications like PGCEs

I know they do, which makes Staunton wrong doesn't it.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 11:04 ----------

It is only ordinary people who are expected to make themselves employable via a sober and earnest application to a vocational education.

He's also trying to suggest that 'ordinary people' don't go to Oxbridge.

I know they do, which makes Staunton wrong doesn't it.[color="Silver"

He's also trying to suggest that 'ordinary people' don't go to Oxbridge.

I find this annoying also.

Hard work, dedication, ambition, parental support and guidance were factors which helped my neice gain a place.

I know what it means, I was under the impression that we didn't use this particular description in the UK.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 08:46 ----------

In my experience most employers prefer a degree that is related to their field.

My degree is in Computer Science, which happens to be the area I work in... Funny that.

Some employers will accept any degree, when no specific degree is relevant, like joining the graduate management scheme at Anonymous Corporate Conglomerate.

A BSc is likely to lead to more career options than a BA though.

I do not think you would fit into many contrasting organisations with a degree in computing,as it is highly vocational.I would suggest that you have only met employers in the field of IT,so it is natural your reasoning is based on very narrow experience.Have the Anon Corp Cong been taken over by Alchemy or similar?

Life and what you make of yourself is entirely up to you. Governments dont exist to further your goals. As far as you're concerned they'll provide a pension and medical care. The rest is up to you.

I left school at 15 and started work on a building site as a part time labourer. As far as a career was concerned that was the lowest of the low. I took the time over the next few years to learn carpentry and later on went to trade schools and learned plumbing and electricity.

Much further on I started my own small construction company and did very well and was able to retire in comfort 6 years ago

Many young people pick the wrong careers to get into. I've known several college and university grads who have earned degrees in "Social science" Probably just about the most useless diploma in existence and definitely not a qualification that 95 percent of potential employers need or want

Not at all.

It's what he said.

---------- Post added 22-02-2013 at 17:09 ----------

I do not think you would fit into many contrasting organisations with a degree in computing,as it is highly vocational.I would suggest that you have only met employers in the field of IT,so it is natural your reasoning is based on very narrow experience.Have the Anon Corp Cong been taken over by Alchemy or similar?

You've got no idea what you're talking about though have you, you've no idea how many companies I've worked for, or what industries they are in.

Perhaps if you speculate less and think more you'll be able to add more to the discussion.

You could though share what "your experience" of most employers covered, since you saw fit to question mine.

Most employers prefer a general degree

How many employers have you worked for or performed recruitment for at a graduate level?

It's what he said.

What he said is it's one of the charcterizing features. Which it is. Some of the courses at Oxbridge are entirely academic, desiged to breed the next generations of thinkers and academics.

Oxbridge has a lower intake of students from less well-off backgrounds. That is true as well.

Staunton was just stating facts. The fact that most right-wingers can't understand nuanced points of view and prefer simple binary arguments (or the odd Hobson's choice) is not Staunton's fault.

Lol, I'm the least right wing person you've ever not met on a forum. But whatever.

How exactly do you rationalise your defence of him with the statement

It is only ordinary people who are expected to make themselves employable via a sober and earnest application to a vocational education.

I can only assume that he doesn't know anyone who went to Cambridge or Oxford, either before or after the fact.

Archived