Ordinary people should know their place!

I saw in the paper the other day that a minister said that pensioners should earn their pension by doing voluntary work.

What the F does he think working for 40 years and paying tax and NI was for?

I've nothing against voluntary work, in fact I did 9 years as an adviser after I retired.

She did a degree that isn't likely to lead to a job... her choice.

Are you seriously suggesting it is frivolous to study Geology?Irrespective of that choice it is not necessary to study simply to gain specific employment although Hitler,Stalin and Mussolini would argue that the needs of the state should supercede choices of individuals.It is an expression of totalitarianism.

---------- Post added 23-02-2013 at 10:59 ----------

Completely off subject, but why do you spell Wadsley as Wadlsey if it refers to the area of Wadsley ?

It is a mistake -you are the first to highlight this so expect some retribution :hihi:

Completely off subject, but why do you spell Wadsley as Wadlsey if it refers to the area of Wadsley ?

It's a typo, I decided not to correct it though.

---------- Post added 23-02-2013 at 13:39 ----------

That does not really surprise me ad you need to read more widely in order to comment on political ideologies with any authority.

Is that similar to how I shouldn't comment on economics since I'm not qualified?

Remind me again, what were your qualifications, in economics and in politics. GNVQ maybe?

Did you consider that maybe I wasn't sure what you were trying to say because you hadn't expressed yourself clearly... I can generally interpret what you write, it's not always easy, but in this case it seemed to be lacking in basic syntactical structure.

---------- Post added 23-02-2013 at 13:43 ----------

Are you seriously suggesting it is frivolous to study Geology?Irrespective of that choice it is not necessary to study simply to gain specific employment although Hitler,Stalin and Mussolini would argue that the needs of the state should supercede choices of individuals.It is an expression of totalitarianism.

I don't believe I used the word frivolous.

It is a degree with limited career choices though, she shouldn't be surprised that she will be expected to take work that is unrelated to it. I completely support her right to make the personal choice to study something she is interested in, but I don't support anyones right to choose to have the state support them rather than work.

It's a typo, I decided not to correct it though.

---------- Post added 23-02-2013 at 13:39 ----------

Is that similar to how I shouldn't comment on economics since I'm not qualified?

Remind me again, what were your qualifications, in economics and in politics. GNVQ maybe?

Did you consider that maybe I wasn't sure what you were trying to say because you hadn't expressed yourself clearly... I can generally interpret what you write, it's not always easy, but in this case it seemed to be lacking in basic syntactical structure.

---------- Post added 23-02-2013 at 13:43 ----------

I don't believe I used the word frivolous.

It is a degree with limited career choices though, she shouldn't be surprised that she will be expected to take work that is unrelated to it. I completely support her right to make the personal choice to study something she is interested in, but I don't support anyones right to choose to have the state support them rather than work.

~I do not do ebay GCSEs where each posts their quaiifications.No doubt you have a degree certificate and photograph adorning the mantle-piece.You did not use the word frivolous but that was implied.I have read agreat deal about state corporatism in 1930s Italy and your views conform to that pattern.Please have a read and see for yourself.

Archived