Ordinary people should know their place!

I dunno. What difference does it make?

All the difference as it determines whether she was still entitled to JSA if the company paid her.

Would you find it objecionable if the work experience had been related to her degree ?

What about the other points in my original post ?

Was there suitable work experience available for a geology graduate or graduate in any subject ?

A question must be asked whether we are producing graduates in sujects which will lead to employment, or in a suitable ratio to demand.

The country has an obvious skills shortage in certain areas evidenced by suitably qualified people from abroad filling them. Why aren't we guiding our prospective students into subject areas, with incentives if necessary, which will lead to careers in areas where we have skill shortages and benefit the country ?

Prospective students need to be made aware of the employment prospects relative to specific degrees.

I appreciate many graduates state that the university experience,regardless of subject read, is valuable in their development and realise how dispiriting it must be when faced with few prospects of employment after working hard.

Regarding the specific topic of the young woman's work experience shelf stacking I fail to see how she could be paid wages by any employer whilst claiming JSA

She had arranged her own voluntary work placement at a museum. Museums are listed as one of the typical employers for geology graduates:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_geology.htm

In the same interview IDS said that people on Workfare aren't unpaid, they are 'paid' Jobseeker's Allowance. Putting aside the obvious point that JSA isn't a wage it's a benefit everyone who needs it can claim to keep themselves alive and warm (if just barely) whilst they are looking for a job and the fact that you can get it whether or not you are on Workfare, surely if IDS thinks that this is the 'wage' of those forced onto Workfare then surely the Government and he in particular are in breach of the statutory minimum wage legislation?

This point was brought up forcefully in this interview:

See thread entitled 'Ian Duncan Smith in bust up interview.'

---------- Post added 20-02-2013 at 19:54 ----------

Was there suitable work experience available for a geology graduate or graduate in any subject ?

A question must be asked whether we are producing graduates in sujects which will lead to employment, or in a suitable ratio to demand.

The country has an obvious skills shortage in certain areas evidenced by suitably qualified people from abroad filling them. Why aren't we guiding our prospective students into subject areas, with incentives if necessary, which will lead to careers in areas where we have skill shortages and benefit the country ?

Prospective students need to be made aware of the employment prospects relative to specific degrees.

I appreciate many graduates state that the university experience,regardless of subject read, is valuable in their development and realise how dispiriting it must be when faced with few prospects of employment after working hard.

Regarding the specific topic of the young woman's work experience shelf stacking I fail to see how she could be paid wages by any employer whilst claiming JSA

If that's the case all University students should be doing a degree in supermarket shelf stacking.

What subject would you advise a student to do? Just where are their any job shortages these days?

Why are we employing nurses from abroad when we have nurses out of work in this country? That for example is not a skill shortage but it's happening.

This point was brought up forcefully in this interview:

See thread entitled 'Ian Duncan Smith in bust up interview.'

---------- Post added 20-02-2013 at 19:54 ----------

If that's the case all University students should be doing a degree in supermarket shelf stacking.

What subject would you advise a student to do? Just where are their any job shortages these days?

Medicine for one. It is skill shortages I refer to.

Medicine for one. It is skill shortages I refer to.

Job shortages such as crop picking.

Why then are we employing nurses from abroad when we have qualified nurses unemployed in this country. Likewise there are not enough places in medical schools for our would be doctors because they are filled up with foreign students.

Archived