New car-registering

Hi. Bought my first car. Not ready to drive it yet. Bought it secondhand.

What do i have to make sure the car is legally mine with dvla or whatever?

Mot is until june but tax is only until end of month.

The registration document for the vehicle should be filled in with your details by the last owner and sent off to DVLA.

You should have got a green slip part off the logbook to keep until the new document arrives in your name.

It wasnt a receipt. We both just signed a bit a paper and dated it. Ive got the paperwork and signed section 6 and need to take it to post office to send off. Hoping thats all ok.

Charlie-boy,

I assume you were the one that retained the "bit of paper" that was signed by both of you.

You don`t need to take section 6 to the post office. My advice is to photo-copy this section 6 first, then send it to DVLA using recorded delivery-DVLA sometimes claim not to have received documents ;)

Do keep in mind that when the tax runs out, you still have to tax the car (& display the disc) to legally park on the road (even if you are not driving it). Safer parked on a drive a course.

Do keep in mind that when the tax runs out, you still have to tax the car (& display the disc) to legally park on the road (even if you are not driving it). Safer parked on a drive a course.

Remember that if it's on the road taxed. If it's taxed then it needs to be insured. If you don't have it insured, then you need to SORN it and make sure it isn't on the road.

AS above, if you keep it on the road it needs to be taxed and insured.

If its off the highway (driveway or garaged, not a private/shared car park etc..) and the tax runs out then you can SORN it (online I think).

It doesn't need to be insured when SORN.

To complicate things..if it's not insured it must be sorned (I think)

Archived