To All Dog Owners..

Doom

Our dog is insured. Because I don't have endless sums of money lying around for every time he gets poorly.

A cat by its very nature is unpredictable, and can be spooked at the drop of a hat! You can't gurarantee that a cat will not attack. All cat's should be on a leash in a public place.

A cat goes and lives where it gets the best deal and is not owned by a person, more the cat adopts a person and is essentially feral!

If a dog owner is that poor they can't afford £250 they really shouldn't be keeping a dog! I'm a big believer in microchipping and with the correct formula could be rolled out to humans too. The ID card would never work, but if every human being in this country was microchipped then the authorities could keep a check on criminal movements, illegal immigrants and the like, crime would decrease dramatically. If taken into custody the authorities would just have to scan you to ascertain your identity and track you down anywhere in the world.

Your joking right?Are you all for a police/nanny state then?The problem is the authorities wont just use it for the criminals though will they?I suppose you will be happy with a cashless society too.

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 15:22 ----------

Link doesn't work, and going directly to the site I still can't download it from them.

Works for me.

Contradicting yourself much there dave?

No. A properly trained dog will come back when called. Some dogs can't be trained (either due to the owner, or being a breed that's bred to chase).

If a dog can't be trained, then it's clearly not a trained dog is it? Obviously an untrainable dog can't be trained.

If the dog can't be trained, then it needs to be exercised on a lead. Obviously, it can't be exercised as intensly if not let off the lead, but, if the owners gone for a breed that can't be trained to be called back, or simply not been bothered to train it, then they have to accept that they're going to have to spend more time walking it.

After all, these decisions are part and parcel of researching what kind of dog to get- if the owner wants a low-exercise dog, they need to get a greyhound, not a terrier- if they want to let the dog off a lead, don't get a breed that's bred to chase anything that moves etc, etc.

A cat goes and lives where it gets the best deal and is not owned by a person, more the cat adopts a person and is essentially feral!

Really? Is that so? I know plenty of people who would say that they own a cat. I must go and tell them at once that they didn't buy the cat because they like cats, but because the cat thought that it could get a good deal out of them. :loopy:

Weird, it works fine for me.

Try here: http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=50

That one works

No need to pick up on;

• Land used for agriculture or woodlands
  • Rural common land
  • Land that is predominantly marshland, moor or heath
  • Highways with a speed limit of 50mph or more

---------- Post added 19-02-2013 at 15:25 ----------

No. A properly trained dog will come back when called. Some dogs can't be trained (either due to the owner, or being a breed that's bred to chase).

If a dog can't be trained, then it's clearly not a trained dog is it? Obviously an untrainable dog can't be trained.

If the dog can't be trained, then it needs to be exercised on a lead. Obviously, it can't be exercised as intensly if not let off the lead, but, if the owners gone for a breed that can't be trained to be called back, or simply not been bothered to train it, then they have to accept that they're going to have to spend more time walking it.

After all, these decisions are part and parcel of researching what kind of dog to get- if the owner wants a low-exercise dog, they need to get a greyhound, not a terrier- if they want to let the dog off a lead, don't get a breed that's bred to chase anything that moves etc, etc.

And the day that the trained dog ignores the owner... Were they wrong the whole time, and it's always been untrained?

Err....pardon? :confused:

A properly trained dog will come back when it's called, except if it can't be trained because it's a breed bred to chase, or the owner CBA.

If the dog can't be trained, then it needs to be exercised on a lead.

I don't believe there exists a dog that cannot be trained. Only owners who can't or wont put in the time and effort. I would agree that if the owner has not bothered training their dog to return on command then it should not be let off the lead in places where you are likley to encounter other people, or dogs. If they are in a deserted area and training their dog to return then that's different.

if the owner wants a low-exercise dog, they need to get a greyhound, not a terrier- if they want to let the dog off a lead, don't get a breed that's bred to chase anything that moves etc, etc.

You clearly know nothing about dogs.

I agree, I have a 'bred to chase anything that moves' dog (whippet/greyhound/saluki). She actually has fair recall for her type (we practice every day and have done since we got her at a few months old) but I have to recognise her limitations, hence why if there are people/children/cyclists/joggers/cars/wildlife/livestock around, she goes on her lead, and we're always on the lookout for potential triggers. Only exception is with other dog owners whose dogs have come to her for play.

I do think that such dogs are born and bred to run and they need to do just that, it's up to us as owners to find safe times and places to allow it.

Edit - just to add that sighthounds *can* generally be let off the lead with care in certain situations.

If it's so clear, would you mind explaining how you've come to the conclusion that I know nothing about dogs?

Greyhounds are probably up there amongst the breed that need the most excersize. They love to run, hence why they are a racing dog.

That's just one example, of the many, many silly things you have posted

Greyhounds are probably up there amongst the breed that need the most excersize. They love to run, hence why they are a racing dog.

That's just one example, of the many, many silly things you have posted

No I'm afraid you are wrong, greyhounds are generally very lazy dogs and need little exercise compared to many other breeds. A couple of half hour walks, ideally with the opportunity for a run would suffice. They are bred for fast sprints and tire quite quickly - the opposite to something like a husky which is more of a marathon runner in comparison.

Archived