To All Dog Owners..

Doom

Anybody see the programme last night on BBC 1 illustrating the tricks dog owners get up to, to avoid picking up the excrement and putting it in a blue plastic bag? Thats why we need the £250 dog licence to clear up after these morons!

And you think these morons would fork out £250 ?

Or just better enforcment of the current laws and fines?

Exactly, there's no point bringing in new laws. Responsible owners will comply and end up out of pocket for no good reason, the rest won't and will carry on being the ones to cause problems for everyone, and no one will enforce them.

It's already law that dogs in public (except working) should be tagged with their owners name and address, many if not most people don't bother. There's a £5000 fine if you're caught I believe.

That's pretty much what I was going to say.

The law says they have every right to be off the lead. So Dave's assertion that "they have no right" is actually incorrect. A better statement would be "In my opinion, a dog should not be off the lead".

Don't forget that there are plenty of Bye-Laws which create areas and zones, within which dogs must be kept on a lead.

Anybody see the programme last night on BBC 1 illustrating the tricks dog owners get up to, to avoid picking up the excrement and putting it in a blue plastic bag? Thats why we need the £250 dog licence to clear up after these morons!

Cat's are worse.............

They just dump wherever they want, stay out all night fighting or shagging making a racket. They also attack people (not very often, but it happens).

What puzzles me is why their owners can get away with it?! They use the excuse that they are wild animals!?! If that's the case, they should be caged.

Don't forget that there are plenty of Bye-Laws which create areas and zones, within which dogs must be kept on a lead.

Yes, good point there.

I revise my earlier statment: The law says they have every right to be off the lead, unless in an area covered by a byelaw which prohibits this. So Dave's assertion that "they have no right" is actually incorrect. A better statement would be "In my opinion, a dog should not be off the lead".

I said an out-of-control dog has no right to be off the lead. You seem to be under the mistaken impression I've said it's against the law for out-of-control dog to be off the lead?

I havn't- I know full well that it's not illegal for an out-of-control dog to be off the lead.

I also stand by my original statement that an out-of-control dog has no right to be off the lead. I know the difference between rights and laws.

You apparently don't understand how rights work in the UK though. Given a lack of a constitution that grants rights, we basically have the right to do anything unless it's specifically prohibited.

So if it's not against the law, you (and by extension the dog your property) have the right to do it. You have the right to let a dog off the lead even if it's out-of-control, you loose that right if it's dangerously out-of-control.

---------- Post added 20-02-2013 at 21:26 ----------

See how much arguing and trouble this is causing. Would be much better for all concerned if NO ONE had dogs ;)

No, what a stupid suggestion.

---------- Post added 20-02-2013 at 21:29 ----------

I said the dog only has a right to be off the lead if it's trained and under the owners control. I stand by that. I never said anything about the law. I think you'd have a hard time arguing the contrary i.e. that a dog does have a right to be off the lead if it's untrained and out of control.

You're wrong though, to not have that right it would have to be restricted by law.

I don't know what you mean about an ignored recall not being different to running at a person? It makes no sense to me- if you clarify what point you're trying to make there, I'll let you know whether I agree or disagree.

You don't understand the difference between a dog ignoring a recall and a dog that is running at someone? :confused: How are we supposed to discuss anything if you either pretend to be or are actually unable to understand basic concepts?

Archived