LoopyLou, where did you get that name!

peterw

Hi LoopyLou, forgive me for asking but where did you nick the name from? I’m an old-timer who once worked in a Working Mens’ Club where the real Loopy Lou was a regular comedian. I think he lived somewhere along the Shiregreen bus route. I often saw him on that route late at night. He was quite a pianist and usually finished his act playing patriotic songs while flags of various countries popped up out of vases. Does any other old-timer remember him?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peterw,

Nothing to do with the comedian you speak of - sorry.

My nick name was given to me by my school friends based on my real name and my habit of doing silly things.

e.g. - Doing silly dares like - running through a fire station to nick a firemans helmet. Than later running back in to give it back!

- Twisting my ankle trying to climb a flagpole - and ending up in casualty, where i fell off the bed and sprained my wrist....

too many to mention really ----but loopylou has stuck with me even though I am now very sensible and would never dream of doing such silly things.....;)

Thanks LoopyLou — I thouht you might have been related to my old, eccentric friend who must surelybe dead by now. He was a great Club act, and I only recently remembered that his name was Loopy Lee —not Lou. However, nice to learn a little bit about you. I left Sheffield in 1951 but keep coming back occasionally when I’m up to it. I’m disabled, aged 76 and still working!

Archived