Would you pay for a fake wedding cake?

Presumably a wooden former iced up like a cake, that you look at but don't cut

I suppose it's the logical progression from the current thing of additional pieces being cut from a rectangular slab away from the party - a cutting cake

OK, but I thought the most expensive part of the cake was the icing? Making a cake itself isn't the most difficult thing but to do a proper icing job requires skill. So how much would you save with a wooden cake? Or is the idea that there are a selection of wooden pre-iced cakes to choose from (i.e. you can't have your own design)?

I'd have thought it was the fact you were just hiring it as a centrepiece that'd keep the cost down

It may suit some people. If I were looking for 'budget', I'd settle for M&S off the shelf, but this idea may appeal to some people

I think I get the idea now - still don't think I would have gone for it though if I had known about it when I was getting married. Then again I didn't have a big fancy "look at me" type cake. But I can see why some brides and grooms would like the idea. You get an impressive cake to wow your guests and for your wedding photos then just cut up a cheap cake to give to everyone.

A lot of the money is in the cost of the fuit cake itself. Mum in law used to make cakes when she was younger. Their time may be charged to decorate the cake but most modern cakes I've seen aren't that detailed.

Personally I wouldn't have a fake cake. Why not have a multi tiered cake stand full of cup cakes or small iced square cakes? I know people who have traditional weddin cake decorating shops that spend most of their time making these cup cake towers now instead of traditional cakes. You can get multi tired clear platic ctands to put the cakes on so all you see is a massive tower of prety cakes.

Alternatively, what not have a metal cake stand designed for wedding cakes but have three different flavoured sponge cakes or cheese cakes on them?

Any of these ideas would look stunning if its a centre piece you are after not the fruit cake.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would want a real cake. You could have just one real tier and then the others are fake. I think guests do expect some kind of cake at a wedding. You can get some gorgeous cakes these days that don't cost too much or how about cupcakes or cake pops as a cheaper alternative? Failing that you could just buy a fruit cake from M&S and decorate it yourself. For my own wedding my mum made my cake and also mini cakes for all of the guests. We spent a lot less doing it ourselves than we would have done if we had hired a cake maker. Having said that since I have been in the wedding industry I have met some fabulous cake makers in Doncaster who make lovely cakes at reasonable prices. If you would like any recommendations please feel free to contact me.

Archived