Which engine oil - bmw

I did read once that a test was done where engines that had an oil change every 1000 miles (or so) were compared to engines that did 100000 on the same oil and there was little difference in wear

That's not what is being discussed though. You need the correct viscosity of oil. If an engine is designed to use 0w40 and you put something like 20w60 in it - then it'll cause problems as the oil will never circulate properly. Similarly if you use an oil that is thinner than spec then it's likely to leak past seals inside the engine (most likely the oil control rings, and get burnt by the engine)

To say that any oil will do is just showing speedy69's complete lack of knowledge.

This makes for very interesting reading (especially the pictures), a case study of an engine which suffers from turbo failures - all from poor servicing and incorrect or poor quality oil.

http://www.assuredperformance.ie/assets/images/Presentation-1.6-hdi-carbo-issues.pdf

So, unless you want your engine to end up as a case study, don't heed Speedy's advice.

The OP's opened a can of oily worms here...:hihi:

I did read once that a test was done where engines that had an oil change every 1000 miles (or so) were compared to engines that did 100000 on the same oil and there was little difference in wear

That may have reported, but anyone that has ever stripped a high mileage engine down will tell you that it is simply not the case.

Our current race engines put appreciable wear upon their main and big-end bearings within the four and a half hour service intervals.

That's not what is being discussed though. You need the correct viscosity of oil. If an engine is designed to use 0w40 and you put something like 20w60 in it - then it'll cause problems as the oil will never circulate properly. Similarly if you use an oil that is thinner than spec then it's likely to leak past seals inside the engine (most likely the oil control rings, and get burnt by the engine)

To say that any oil will do is just showing speedy69's complete lack of knowledge.

Correct.

In addition, if an engine is designed specifically for 0w40, there will be increased wear from cold because the 20w60 will be thicker (i.e. 20w) an will not penetrate the tighter clearances that necessitate the 0w specification oil.

If the engine gets hot, there will also be increased wear, but this is because the oil will thin more and the film strength will break down.

---------- Post added 20-02-2013 at 11:26 ----------

I remember back in the 70s when a well-known brand of motor oil nearly collapsed because of its magnetic problem.

I have no idea what you are on about. Would you care to expand?

There is no way a hydrocarbon oil can have significant magnetic properties regarding it's application in an engine.

The OP's opened a can of oily worms here...:hihi:

ooppppsss!!

---------- Post added 20-02-2013 at 20:35 ----------

thanks for all your help people. but me being a car numpty poured some oil in and at the same time some went down the side of the engine and some oil is now sitting on the tray under the engine. have i just cocked it all up? will this cause any problems?

i am definitely not a car guy

Archived