'Burglary in your street' card

milliardo

Police in Sheffield are aware of the rise in burglaries across the city. Around a quarter of these burglaries occur because of unlocked or insecure doors or windows. We are also aware that once a burglar has targeted a property, they may revisit the same area.

Police officers are posting cards to notify neighbouring properties that there has been a burglary in the area. This is to provide crime prevention advice and to increase awareness.

To deter and prevent burglars, residents can take the following steps:

• Make sure doors and windows are locked, even if you are in the house

• Keep all valuables – including car/house keys – safely out of sight, and out of reach of doors, windows, and letterboxes (we have had incidents where burglars have used a stick to retrieve keys through a letterbox from inside the home)

• Mark your property with your name and postcode – this makes it harder for burglars to sell on stolen goods

• Register your property for free on http://www.immobilise.com – a free, nationwide database that allows lost or stolen property to be traced back and returned to its rightful owner

If you do see anyone behaving suspiciously, please call 101. If a crime is in progress, call 999.

Yes, I'm in S2. As regard safe than sorry, we never have anything on display and always always lock our windows and doors, even when we are in the room. Ignorance is bliss and what not.

Yes, it was a legitimate Police card telling of extra measures to take. It was also accompanied with a letter on headed notepaper that said much the same thing.

I had the card and letter waiting for me when I got home last night too, at least they are actually making us all aware of what's happening in our area at the moment

Surely the police time would be better spent investigating the original crime rather posting pointless pieces of card through peoples door.

personal responsibility ?

shaking people out of complacency ?

if it reminds people to check their outbuildings and remember to close and lock windows and doors and prevents further burgularies ...

Archived