Are we nearing the beginning of the end?

Will humans still be forging ahead in 500 years time?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Will humans still be forging ahead in 500 years time?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

Humanity is definitely doomed. As a species we are more technologically advanced than we can cope with socially or emotionally. Basically humanity is too stupid and selfish to live in harmony with the planet and the rest of the species, to survive for another 500 years.

I predict less than 50 years.....

Humans will still be around but life will be very different.

I agree, I think this is likely. Something has to give when the population of the planet is constantly increasing - it has to be a finite number that can be reasonably sustained.

Places which have generally stable societies at the moment will not have in the future.

I guess that's dependent on what causes things to be different, and might influence which societies (or tribes) do well or remain stable.

Let me tell you, when people are battling for food and warmth, hedgefunds, shares, 0% interest on purchases over £400 won't matter.

As you say, food and water will always be central, and it will to both the cause, and the effect. Should there be a plague/or environment disaster it will be, and if it's some kind of anarchy and supplies are cut in lawlessness, the same will happen - though with a longer length of time.

There'll certainly be a point in future when they look back and say, "Jesus, all they had to worry about was not having their bins collected once a week and that libraries were closing?"

As parvo above said, I think that will be closer to 50 than 500 years.

Humanity is definitely doomed. As a species we are more technologically advanced than we can cope with socially or emotionally. Basically humanity is too stupid and selfish to live in harmony with the planet and the rest of the species, to survive for another 500 years.

I predict less than 50 years.....

As said before I think ‘Mother Nature’ will step in and cull a few billion with some new strain of flu or similar. Maybe it has had a few attempts so far S.A.R.S, bird flu, swine flu and now NCoV. More people equals diseases can spread easier and quicker

No and no (respectively).

Life will be quite different, I imagine, just as Chaucer/Shakespeare/Dickins/Rowling would each find even the next one's life unimaginable- but there'll still be people like us around.

No and no (respectively).

Life will be quite different, I imagine, just as Chaucer/Shakespeare/Dickins/Rowling would each find even the next one's life unimaginable- but there'll still be people like us around.

You say no but this is an opinion as noone would really know so it should be Maybe Maybe I'm Not saying it will wipe us out just cull the population!!

You are right Lil-Minx that when the 'developed world' catches up with the Developed countries and also want the same living standards and levels of consumption, then the supply of these resources will dry up.

Just think - China and India - 2 of the largest and fastest growing countries have over 2.5 billion people between them - whilst all the EU, Russia, USA, Australia, Japan, New Zealand have just over 1 billion.

When they all lead the same lifestyles as we do, then there is an enormous demand for energy created - all those millions of cars made in China every year for example.

You can see already that some countries have realised the long-term implications for this. China has massive interests in Africa, creating many trade deals. They are importing millions of tonnes of resources from the countries there and also from South America. There are said to be 1m-2m Chinese already in Africa.

It looks like the Chinese (as usual) are looking at the long-term approach rather then the leaders in the UK who jus think about the next election.

With the decline in oil reserves happening at this rapid industrialisation of China, etc, it couldn't have come at a worse time for energy as costs will go up dramatically in the future. No amount of windmills will change this..

I still think there could be some major technological innovations in the next few decades that could change the planet for the better. Look at the potential of nanotechnology for instance and materials like graphene, as well as thorium reactors. Exciting stuff. Lets just hope we get better leaders in the future who have a real interest and understanding of how science can be beneficial and shouldn't just be used to say to other countries, 'we've got better weapons then you!'

Archived