What does unnatural actually mean?

danot

Where do we draw the line on what we view as natural or unnatural? For instance(and I'm only using this as an example, I 'm not in any way against IVF)- Is it natural or unnatural when a couple who are unable to conceive naturally conceive through fertility treatment? I often hear it argued- "If nature didn't intend for it to happen then we shouldn't be meddling with it, then on the flip side the counter argument could be that anything we do as to natural because we ourselves are a product of nature. So Where do we draw the line on this?

Where do we draw the line on what we view as natural or unnatural? For instance(and I'm only using this as an example, I 'm not in any way against IVF)- Is it natural or unnatural when a couple who are unable to conceive naturally conceive through fertility treatment? I often hear it argued- "If nature didn't intend for it to happen then we shouldn't be meddling with it, then on the flip side the counter argument could be that anything we do as to natural because we ourselves are a product of nature. So Where do we draw the line on this?

It's nature with a bit of help, same as someone who needs a hearing aid, glasses, a hip replacement etc.

---------- Post added 20-02-2013 at 14:07 ----------

And actually does it really matter if you or I perceive it as natural or not?

There's bucket loads of things that are unnatural. We'd all be living in the dark ages and fighting the plague and god knows what if didn't use 'things' to make unnatural things. Take penicillin for instance..... A fridge to make things cold to slow bacterial growth..that's not a natural occurrence. It's called progress!

There's bucket loads of things that are unnatural. We'd all be living in the dark ages and fighting the plague and god knows what if didn't use 'things' to make unnatural things. Take penicillin for instance..... A fridge to make things cold to slow bacterial growth..that's not a natural occurrence. It's called progress!

Penicillin is natural...as I understand it anyway..I think Danot was forwarding the idea that as we are natural then the things we design and build can also be classed as natural..

It's a vague term, really. Oil exists in nature, but pulling it out of the ground and using it to power an engine is something that human beings have constructed. Now we could argue two things:

A. It doesn't exist in nature without our involvement, so it is unnatural; or

B. Humans exist in nature, thus everything we do is natural.

Two conflicting positions.

Archived