What does unnatural actually mean?

danot

Yet 'manufactured' actually means 'made by hand' or 'man-made', precisely the opposite of what it now signifies.

I always wondered about 'man made', we don't 'make' anything we just blend and change the things that are here.

so natural and unnatural..

would it have to be a matter of opinion?

Until we can define 'natural', we will be unable to agree on what is 'unnatural'.

In today's world, however, it tends to be used to connote 'untypical', i.e., that which is less common, although in earlier times it has certainly been associated with moral depravity.

But what doesn't exist in nature, Wex?

We are part of nature so anything we do exists in nature.

Everything exists in nature!

If you look at the base compounds yes, but they will never miraculously come together to form the complex materials we create.

When was the last naturally occurring silicon chip found or plastics for that matter?

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this one as the counter argument does appear to be just as valid. I purpose it all boils down to personal opinion.

There can be quite a sliding scale on what is to be deemed natural or unnatural, I think what matters more is the offset of positive or negative effects.

If you look at the base compounds yes, but they will never miraculously come together to form the complex materials we create.

When was the last naturally occurring silicon chip found or plastics for that matter?

So what about a virus that has mutated due to human intrvention? What would that be classed as? A naturally occurring virus or a man made unnatural virus?

There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this one as the counter argument does appear to be just as valid. I purpose it all boils down to personal opinion.

Here's something that can never happen in nature: Film and sound recordings that are run backwards. More of an illusion, of course.

the answer to that question is a resounding yes of course!

Whoops I think that ruins your point:hihi:

I wasn't making a point..I was asking a question.. another one now..which animals in the wild make a habit of adoption...? Is it a general species thing or is it usually an individual making an "out of character" choice?

Archived