Ian Duncan-Smith bust up interview

Great interview.

It's about time we had more interviewers prepared to stand up to politicians.

Politicians are trained:

To not pause for breath, (so interviewer can't jump in)

To talk over any interuptions until interuptee gives way

Talk in long sentences that never end (again so interviewer can't get a word in edgeways.)

Talk in long sentences that includes jargon to confuse and make interviewer go off track.

Answer the question they want to answer rather than the question they are asked.

Use statistics that cannot be proved or countermanded without the information at your fingertips (A good interviewer willl have these ready.)

Repeat same information in different ways.

Repeat same information more forcefully.

Bully, intimidate and belittle, or patronise.

Direct attack on interviewer. ("You really don't know what you're talking about.")

Interestingly all these are on show in this interview. It takes a strong interviewer to stand up to all these, few can do it, especially in one interview. So well done to James O'Brien.

A good example of how not to conduct an interview.

Because it made a right-winger look foolish? Your posts do that all the time.

---------- Post added 21-02-2013 at 08:01 ----------

I don't know who is more worse IDS or Keith Vaz.....

They both supported Bush and Blair's invasion of Iraq so they're both idiots.

The purpose of an interview isn’t to make the interviewee look foolish, it’s to ask relevant question whilst remaining impartial. He failed on both counts.

I disagree.

What is the point in an interview if the interviewer just lets the politician answer whatever questions he feels like hearing and talking nonsense. The politician may as well just make regular statements in that case.

While I think it is nice if the interviewer is impartial I'd rather they had a good go at pointing out any bull/spin. If we had any politicians on the left important enough to get interviewed we'd find out of they are impartial or not :P

I disagree.

What is the point in an interview if the interviewer just lets the politician answer whatever questions he feels like hearing and talking nonsense. The politician may as well just make regular statements in that case.

While I think it is nice if the interviewer is impartial I'd rather they had a good go at pointing out any bull/spin. If we had any politicians on the left important enough to get interviewed we'd find out of they are impartial or not :P

The interviewer shouldn’t let the interviewee side step the question but the question still as to be relevant and not loaded. Some of the question he asked were both irrelevant and loaded, which made them pointless because most people would avoid answering irrelevant, loaded question.

Archived