Shocking Sexism

Yeah I saw this, my friend, 18, was walking home and some guy in a car was following her pressuring her for her number and said she had a nice...bum and telling her what he wanted to do to her. She was so scared she ran into a shop. That happened the other day but it's the second time she said it has happened.

I was shocked and it made me a little ashamed to be a guy as I know that this happens regularly. I wouldn't ever even dream of doing something like that, but some people are just totally blazè about it and do it like it doesn't matter, or like they're not doing anything wrong.

The problem is whenever people try to discuss sexism, it's always jovially dismissed..by sexists. I think we need an attitude change because the people who do the things mentioned in the link above, I believe they don't see how disgusting their actions are.

Have they through that those women being portrayed in the media are quite happy to dress like a tart for a load of advertising ££££. Are these not the liberated women who are dressing like that "because THEY feel like it"

How about 14,15,16 year old girls who look up to these supposed role models flocking out to nightclubs dressing like 25 years old call girls trying to pull whatever meathead strolls by.

In Education girls are reguarly reported to be out performing boys and they have the exact same opportunities for further education, training and development.

In the world of work employment rights have changed dramatically and I agree for the better. Sexism that was rampant in the 60s and 70s has long gone. However, has it swung too much the other way?? Women can take maternity leave for up to 12 months with an option never to go back if they so choose. They can argue they need term time only, flexible working, reduced or compressed hours all without little reasoning or rights for an employer.

Those female politicans criticised in the news about their appearance are often from FEMALE journalists. Columnists such as gob****e Carol Malone and Sally Dacre are the first to point the finger with their venomous comments about other women.

Many of these "examples" through socail media will be about as valid as the "thousands" of complaints against rude tv shows or "offensive" jokes. How many of her subjects in this project have just jumped on the bandwagon. How many of their comments could actually be whittled down to nothing more than innocent comments and/or oversensitivity.

What about men who also suffer the same problems. Plenty of advertising in both print and television showing women fawning over some Beckham or Ronaldo underpants advert. Diet coke advert? is that no a prime example. Same thing isnt it?

What about men who are in nightclubs with groups of women oggling them and flirting away round them. Lifeguards, Fireman, Policemen which seems to be professions which have a certain "attraction" to females. Its all the same.

NEWSFLASH luv, Sexism is recognised and believed. Genuine cases can be reported and there are things that can be done about it. Employers and Government have a duty to stop it just like racism, homophobia, xenophobia and disability discrimination.

However, here is another word this particular journalist might want to look up. Hypocrisy.

Did you listen to the recording? She's not talking about girls dressed like slappers. If they're dressed to get attention, they can't complain too much when they get that attention, unless it's something bad.

But the point she was making, it was happening at work, school, etc. Bosses telling their staff to get abortions? Co-workers making obscene comments? I mean these aren't friends, they're colleagues.

[...] NEWSFLASH luv, Sexism is recognised and believed. Genuine cases can be reported and there are things that can be done about it. Employers and Government have a duty to stop it just like racism, homophobia, xenophobia and disability discrimination.

However, here is another word this particular journalist might want to look up. Hypocrisy.

NEWSFLASH this post contains sexist sentiments and terms of address. It is HIGHLY LIKELY that this poster is sexist. Approach with caution.

What has she said that is hypocritical?

Women in media and advertising in little clothing -

Men are too. Plenty of blokes posing in adverts with their tits out/bulges showing.

MPs being criticised in the media for weight/ what they wear -

Often written by female journos and female gossip magazines

Comments in the street/shouting/comments at work -

Men get that too. Women can be just as bad at this with male colleauges (See below).

As for the Groped/unwanted physical attention/sexism at work

- issues that can be reported to the police and/or employer as an offence and would be dealt with under the laws. Men working in a pedominantly female workforce may suffer these issues. Male cleaners/male secretaries/male care workers/male nursery nurse/male hairdressers might be stereotyped by female colleauges as weak/camp/gay etc... Ive seen plenty of that going on.

How about male maintenance guys/warehouse staff/office juniors who work with female colleauges/managers in the office or on the shop floor. Plenty of flirting/inappropriate comments/touching and groping can happen to them to. Is that acceptable?

Discrimination of all types happens every day by nasty people. They all can be acted upon and dealt with.

What I dont like the one sided tone of the report and her article. Makes it sounds like nothing ever happens to men and its only "females" who are victims. Its just like when the media are talking about rape/domestic violence/divorce/child abuse. Men are always protrayed the ones responsible with women being the victims.

Equal society this is supposed to be. ALL of this sort of discrimination needs to stop it should not have any matter whether its against man, woman or beast. There should be no such thing as sexism. Inappropratie behaviour is the crime. Sex should have nothing to do with it.

There are culprits and victims on BOTH sides. Seemingly only one ever gets coverage.

Men working in a pedominantly female workforce may suffer these issues. [...] Plenty of flirting/inappropriate comments/touching and groping can happen to them to. Is that acceptable?

If they are uncomfortable with the behaviour and it is unwanted, then it isn't acceptable. No.

Has anybody said it is acceptable? I don't really understand your point.

Its just like when the media are talking about rape/domestic violence/divorce/child abuse. Men are always protrayed the ones responsible with women being the victims.

Rape - most of the victims will be women. Not all, true, but most.

Domestic violence - most of the victims will be women.

Child abuse - children are the victims, and it can happen with either gender.

How anyone is the victim of divorce, I couldn't even begin to understand what you mean.

Equal society this is supposed to be.

You'd like to see everyone raped equally? :)

Archived