Stupid Pronunciations

Lieutenant (to continue the theme :hihi: )

Salisbury

Barugh Green

Bacup

Wednesday

In theory then, we should call it Wensday, like Sheffield Wensday.

Same as for...

Cough - Why not just say coff.

Plough - Plaw sounds better.

Laugh - Having a laff sounds more like it.

Same as for...

All you're suggesting are regional (dialect) versions of the various pronunciations. What makes them any better?!

What needs updating is people's attitude to English Language.

The rot set in when Americanisms started creeping in because society was soaking up yank tv and movies. American words began to soak into the written and spoken language and many younger persons were starting to know no different. Elevator particuarly is heavilly used as is cell phone!!

Now we have moved on even further. With the advent of email and text messages hideous text speak and slang started to develop. Which once again many of the young folk seem to think is perfectly acceptable to then use in business and professional correspondence.

Add that to the almost complete reliance on auto correct and spell checking and handwritten forms becoming less and less we could soon end up with an entire generation who know no different.

I have seen one too many emails written in txt spk and one particular cover letter that actually had the words "cos" and "ta" as part of the sentences.

As someone for whom both english and latin language is still a tool in my profession and where 3 hour written exams are still the status quo I find this very worrying.

Add that to the almost complete reliance on auto correct and spell checking and handwritten forms becoming less and less we could soon end up with an entire generation who know no different.

As someone for whom both english and latin language is still a tool in my profession and were3 hour written exams are still the status quo I find this very worrying.

Lol...auto correct missed "where".

Totally agree by the way.

Same as for...

Its so much more interesting when you write down how we

pronounce the words and not just how we spell them.

Archived