Stupid Pronunciations

The word 'live' always puzzles me. Obviously it's got two meanings and two methods of pronunciation which are entirely dependent upon the context of the sentence the word is used in.

Example:

I enjoy seeing 'live' bands perform on stage.

I want to 'live' my life the way I want without interference.

The word 'set' has the most meanings in the English language Pete, with well over fifty in my dictionary (Collins). However a quick Google suggests it has over 400. I obviously need to go and buy the OED.

in my opinion the reason english is such a superb language is that it has absorbed parts of so many other languages into it. when the normans conquered england they spoke french for over 300 years & when they finally got round to speaking english they inserted 10,000 french words into english usage by law.

virtually all military terms including ranks are french. the word that gets me is hyperbole, i always want to pronounce it hyper-bowl. i mean how many other english words have ole at the end & your supposed to pronounce the e ?

turns out it's greek.

The word that I have the most difficulty in selplnig is 'diarrhoea' ... get's me every time, and have to look it up (not in the biblical sense). It's far easier just to say 'S**t ones self '.

Hahaha...I have to admit I don't often have the need to write the word diarrhea very often (bugger just had to look it up)....:hihi::hihi:

in my opinion the reason english is such a superb language is that it has absorbed parts of so many other languages into it. when the normans conquered england they spoke french for over 300 years & when they finally got round to speaking english they inserted 10,000 french words into english usage by law.

virtually all military terms including ranks are french. the word that gets me is hyperbole, i always want to pronounce it hyper-bowl. i mean how many other english words have ole at the end & your supposed to pronounce the e ?

turns out it's greek.

There are capital letters in the English language too ... same with the French! :)

---------- Post added 21-02-2013 at 11:58 ----------

Hahaha...I have to admit I don't often have the need to write the word diarrhea very often (bugger just had to look it up)....:hihi::hihi:

You opted for the American spelling. :D

There are capital letters in the English language too ... same with the French! :)

---------- Post added 21-02-2013 at 11:58 ----------

You opted for the American spelling. :D

Probably Alco...it was from wikipedia. :blush:...grrrrrr...I generally hate American spellings...(runs round the room slapping myself with a wet kipper) :hihi:

Probably Alco...it was from wikipedia. :blush:...grrrrrr...I generally hate American spellings...(runs round the room slapping myself with a wet kipper) :hihi:

'Wikipedia' is also an American spelling. In English it's 'Why kip here dear?'

I think this was down to the fact that Jimmy Wales was having a contretemps with his girlfriend, and didn't particularly want her staying overnight because she smelt of unsavoury Welsh things ... mainly leeks, sheep and Y-fenni cheese. :)

---------- Post added 21-02-2013 at 12:55 ----------

And why is 'dyslexia' so hard to spell?

I dno't konw ... M'i ton dlysixec.

Archived