Aid is to to buy arms

David Cameron says foreign aid should be used to buy armaments (and by coincidence he travels round with mates that just happen to sell them...)

He calls it 'peace keeping'

But I wonder what he says to the starving kids who will have to go without food and medicine because the money's been spent on guns?

Is this what aid is for?

David Cameron says foreign aid should be used to buy armaments (and by coincidence he travels round with mates that just happen to sell them...)

But I wonder what he says to the starving kids who will have to go without food and medicine because the money's been spent on guns?

Is this what aid is for?

Wake up love and welcome to the real world.

Arms can make a country more secure, certainly in less stable regions of the world. If India is going to buy weapons it might as well be us that sells them than Russia, France, the US and china.

You were going on about securing British jobs - the good folk at BAE will be grateful for this.

So he gives taxpayer's money to countries in order to buy arms from British firms? Sounds like some weird Keynesian economics. Mind it only works if the recipient of the "aid" doesn't turn around and buy cheaper arms from elsewhere. Hmmm India, can afford nuclear weapons but most of their people live in abject squalor. Good to see they have their priorities right.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Is this what aid is for?

As a matter of interest, what do you think most of the current aid is spent on?

couldn't agree more taxman. If a shop keeper gives someone £100 pounds to spend in their shop in what way are they going to be better off? And as you say they may go elsewhere.

Apparently we give more aid to India than anywhere else. They have a Billion pound space program & nuclear capability, whilst many of their population live in poverty.

Obviously there must be something going on that we're not being informed about.

Given the arms trades propensity for bribery & corruption i have a vague feeling as to what that something may be.

Nope, aid to pay for all the humanitarian work carried out by our armed forces on top of the aid these countries already receive.

Aid like this: http://saharareporters.com/news-page/revealed-how-then-governor-goodluck-jonathan-gave-obaigbena-1-million-bayelsa%E2%80%99s-poverty-al

Funny how reports like this crop up too: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20405140

As a matter of interest, what do you think most of the current aid is spent on?

Well apart from responding to emergency humanitarian crisis, I'd rather assumed it was spent on infrasrtructure projects like roads, hospitals, and schools,but considering the uproar in the past when some crackpot african dictator gets hold of it and spends it on weapons, I didn't think it was spent knowingly on weapons.

Call me naive, but I really don't want my taxmoney going towards that.

Archived