Puncture repair: Anyone know what criteria they use to be viable?

In addition to the above advice & suggestions, it is also my experience that the tyre garages will not repair punctures on the “shoulder” area of the tyre on safety grounds. The shoulder is the area where the tread finishes.

Pete, if your tyre cannot be repaired, why not just go to somewhere like top tread who do used tyres. For example, you could get a puncture in a brand new Michelin costing £90 and end up scrapping the tyre a week later if you were that unlucky to get the same sort of puncture.

In addition to the above advice & suggestions, it is also my experience that the tyre garages will not repair punctures on the “shoulder” area of the tyre on safety grounds. The shoulder is the area where the tread finishes.

Pete, if your tyre cannot be repaired, why not just go to somewhere like top tread who do used tyres. For example, you could get a puncture in a brand new Michelin costing £90 and end up scrapping the tyre a week later if you were that unlucky to get the same sort of puncture.

Thanks for the input Mart. Mine is definitely (according to the advice so far) in the 'repairable area'. So I'll try that first.

I do take your point about the part worn option, but I seem to remember seeing a thread on here a long while ago, where someone asked where they could buy cheap remoulds or part worn tyres, and they were out and out slated on safety grounds, and from what I remember on every other imaginable grounds for having the cheek to want to actually go for a cheap option. It was a character assination of epic proportions!

However, for my needs, I don't see a problem. I tootle back and forth to work and rarely venture that far, and I don't thrash up and down motorways. So I think I'd be ok with the 'cheaper' options! ;)

Thanks for the input Mart. Mine is definitely (according to the advice so far) in the 'repairable area'. So I'll try that first.

I do take your point about the part worn option, but I seem to remember seeing a thread on here a long while ago, where someone asked where they could buy cheap remoulds or part worn tyres, and they were out and out slated on safety grounds, and from what I remember on every other imaginable grounds for having the cheek to want to actually go for a cheap option. It was a character assination of epic proportions!

However, for my needs, I don't see a problem. I tootle back and forth to work and rarely venture that far, and I don't thrash up and down motorways. So I think I'd be ok with the 'cheaper' options! ;)

I agree.

Puncture repair area.

If it within the tread it can be repaired if its in the side wall it cant.

It's not quite as simple as that, as others have already mentioned, it needs to be within the central 3/4 of the tread.

In addition to this, you can't have more than one repair in each quarter of the tyre's circumference (this means no more than 4 repairs per tyre, no more than 3 on some higher speed rated tyres).

The tyre has to be in otherwise good condition, if it has been run flat and the rim has dug into the tyre from the inside, or even if it has just left heavy creases in the rubber, it may not be repairable.

The puncture must not exceed more than 6mm in diameter, the entry angle of the puncture must not exceed 20 degrees ( -I think, not 100% sure on the exact angle) must not be steep! so if there's a nail almost gone in horizontally, you can't have it repaired.

Also if its a alloy make sure its not just the bead leaking.
The same happens with steel wheels, so check regardless

i suppose they can patch it if its the tread region.or inner tube

Patches aren't legal anymore in most tyres, plugs must be used. It's rare to find a tubed tyre these days.

Where have you taken your tyres for repairs in the past?

I once took a tyre to a well known fast tyre and exhaust centre. The lad took the tyre off - gave a few intakes of breath and then brought the tyre over and explained that the tyre couldn't be repaired as the repair would be too close to the shoulder. I asked for a tape measure - when he asked why I told him it was so that I could measure to see which shoulder it was closer too - it was that central on the tread. He repaired the tyre.

Get the A. A. out they repair them for free. If you dont have a spare.

Really?This is from their Ts and Cs

"General exclusions

Failure to carry a serviceable spare

Any additional charges resulting from Your failure to carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or tyre, except where this is not provided as manufacturers’ standard equipment. The AA will endeavour to arrange on your behalf, but will not pay for, assistance from a third party;"

Really?This is from their Ts and Cs

"General exclusions

Failure to carry a serviceable spare

Any additional charges resulting from Your failure to carry a legal and serviceable spare wheel or tyre, except where this is not provided as manufacturers’ standard equipment. The AA will endeavour to arrange on your behalf, but will not pay for, assistance from a third party;"

I did wonder about that claim, and thought it sounded a little too good to be true....as with all things I suppose, if it 'sounds' too good to be true, it probably is!...:hihi:

I did wonder about that claim, and thought it sounded a little too good to be true....as with all things I suppose, if it 'sounds' too good to be true, it probably is!...:hihi:

Yep,I can't see them paying for a puncture repair if you car should have a spare but hasn't..they'd probably just recover you to ATS or Kwik-fit I would have thought..or maybe not even do that.. dunno..never had to call them to fix a tyre..

Yep,I can't see tham paying for a puncture repair if you car should have a spare but hasn't..they'd probably just recover you to ATS or Kwik-fit I would have thought..or maybe not even do that.. dunno..never had to call them to fix a tyre..

I suspect they might have a tin of that squirty tyreweld stuff and use that, if it's feasible, and charge you for it. But beyond that, I suppose you're right that they might tow you to a kwik-fit or somewhere. I've never called them out for a problem like that either!

Archived