Claiming mileage

Take the job, insist on a written contract after 4 weeks, if you're dismissed go to tribunal.

Edit - It's obviously difficult to know if an employer is going to attempt to be abusive in this way, and difficult to deal with it if they are, but it's not completely impossible to take the right steps to ensure that you're protected as much as possible.

You mention the job centre for example, surely they can assist in making sure that there is a written contract.

If someone is desperate for money, they are less likely to insist on a written contract.

Better to take the money for as long as its available, do the job - the alternative is to lose your job.

People in this position have very few (if any) rights

Take the job, insist on a written contract after 4 weeks, if you're dismissed go to tribunal.

Edit - It's obviously difficult to know if an employer is going to attempt to be abusive in this way, and difficult to deal with it if they are, but it's not completely impossible to take the right steps to ensure that you're protected as much as possible.

You mention the job centre for example, surely they can assist in making sure that there is a written contract.

You'd think so wouldn't you. But they don't want to know. The best they might do is take the job down, they don't vet them.

like a fool, I clicked on the thread hoping annab would have finally provided some proof of her previous claim before she starts a second line of attack.

anneb - can you link to something (anything) that shows employers not giving employees the mileage allowance that they are entitled to - even a thread on a forum like this would be a start.

like a fool, I clicked on the thread hoping annab would have finally provided some proof of her previous claim before she starts a second line of attack.

anneb - can you link to something (anything) that shows employers not giving employees the mileage allowance that they are entitled to - even a thread on a forum like this would be a start.

I suggest you go right back to the start of this thread. The previous thread was closed, and this thread has been censored because the person to whom it happened objected to being the focus of a thread, and asked for all mention of the incident to be withdrawn. It's very hard to argue a case when you aren't allowed to mention the facts. If I repeat it again it will be censored again and I could get banned.

You might want to read 'Ideal little run around car' baring in mind it has been censored by mods from post 7 and all the comments removed, which is why I presume Ekolad started this thread.

I am not sure.

But how can anyone on min wage with the price of petrol the way it is afford not to claim mileage,

It is utter stupidity, talk about cutting your nose etc....

There ARE circumstance where keeping the lowly paid job can be more important that being paid correctly.

A single parent with children can find themselves in a situation where they need 16 hours per week in order to be entitled to working tax credit.

There are situations where the Tax Credits are worth a lot (a lot!) more than the discrepancies from the employer.

I am not saying that the individual concerned is in that position but I can understand why I might keep such a job while being underpaid.

Someone choosing not to claim is not the same as a company not intending to pay though is it.

How many companies do you know who pay out once a year? Especially in a low paid job situation. How can someone afford the expenses of running a car and paying for petrol on minimum wage?

How many companies do you know who pay out once a year? Especially in a low paid job situation. How can someone afford the expenses of running a car and paying for petrol on minimum wage?

Back in my suited and booted days the standard deal was you put in a monthly claim and it got paid out the next month. When I got a bit more senior you just got a corporate amex to put your fuel/hotels/meals etc on and just had to fill in a form at the end of the month. Being paid for fuel annually sounds like a major rip off.

I suggest you go right back to the start of this thread. The previous thread was closed, and this thread has been censored because the person to whom it happened objected to being the focus of a thread, and asked for all mention of the incident to be withdrawn. It's very hard to argue a case when you aren't allowed to mention the facts. If I repeat it again it will be censored again and I could get banned.

You might want to read 'Ideal little run around car' baring in mind it has been censored by mods from post 7 and all the comments removed, which is why I presume Ekolad started this thread.

no it`s ok, I`ll wait for you to post a link to an incident where someone has not been paid the mileage to which they are due, shouldnt be too hard, you after all claimed it`s a common problem for people on NMW.

---------- Post added 24-02-2013 at 22:34 ----------

Well, people are trusting at first, and just happy to have been offered a job.

After it's happened to you 2 or 3 times you become more cynical.

I just find it so infuriating that unless it's happened to you, people won't believe it's quite commonplace these days. Do they never wonder why, in the real world, the minimum wage is going down?

can you then at least show that "the minimum wage is going down"

is it going down?

no it`s ok, I`ll wait for you to post a link to an incident where someone has not been paid the mileage to which they are due, shouldnt be too hard, you after all claimed it`s a common problem for people on NMW.

I don't know how to do links, but if you can't be bothered to follow the thread or look at the other one I don't see why I should bother.

can you then at least show that "the minimum wage is going down"

is it going down?

Good example of minimum wage being undermined? OK.

A relative of mine pays for 30 minutes home care twice a day,(1hour) but gets barely 10 minutes. When we complained, home help said she wasn't paid travel time between clients and if she didn't reduce the time spent with clients she wouldn't get round all her clients.

We changed to another home help, also on minimum wage, but who spends more time with clients, ie the time they've paid for.

Because of this she frequently works 12 hours a day but is paid for only 8.

Also if an emergency occurs, (one day she had to wait with a client for nearly 2 hours waiting for a doctor and then an ambulance to arrive,) she doesn't get paid any extra, but still has to complete her rounds because she won't leave a client without care.

So she is doing a difficult job for minimum wage but is being exploited by being expected to work more hours than she is paid ffor.

---------- Post added 25-02-2013 at 22:26 ----------

Good example of minimum wage being undermined? OK.

A relative of mine pays for 30 minutes home care twice a day,(1hour) but gets barely 10 minutes. When we complained, home help said she wasn't paid travel time between clients and if she didn't reduce the time spent with clients she wouldn't get round all her clients.

We changed to another home help, also on minimum wage, but who spends more time with clients, ie the time they've paid for.

Because of this she frequently works 12 hours a day but is paid for only 8.

Also if an emergency occurs, (one day she had to wait with a client for nearly 2 hours waiting for a doctor and then an ambulance to arrive,) she doesn't get paid any extra, but still has to complete her rounds because she won't leave a client without care.

So she is doing a difficult job for minimum wage but is being exploited by being expected to work more hours than she is paid ffor.

What, no sarcastic comment in reply Gym rat?

Archived