Who does 'Banksy's' artwork belong to?

But I think the key thing is which was there first and which was applied to other.

Great!

So, let's say I buy a box of matches, and apply super glue to one match, then place it (glue side up) on my driveway. You come to visit me in your car, which as you pull on to my driveway, becomes attached to the match.

My match was there first, you were the one doing the attaching; so on the basis that my match was there first, and is now inseparable from your car; your car (or tire?) is now my property?

In a bit of a twist, it now appears that the auction house in Miami has withdrawn the banksy from sale and given no explanation. Meanwhile local residents from where at was taken are protesting saying they want the 'artwork' back. The police say that as far as they are aware, nobody has reported a theft, so no crime has been committed, and the owners of the building from where it was taken are making no comment.

Great!

So, let's say I buy a box of matches, and apply super glue to one match, then place it (glue side up) on my driveway. You come to visit me in your car, which as you pull on to my driveway, becomes attached to the match.

My match was there first, you were the one doing the attaching; so on the basis that my match was there first, and is now inseparable from your car; your car (or tire?) is now my property?

You applied it to the car (by placing it there as a trap). If I came to your house and I glued your property to my car then you'd have a good argument for theft if I drove away with it. (Much the same as if I just put it in my boot).

You applied it to the car (by placing it there as a trap). If I came to your house and I glued your property to my car then you'd have a good argument for theft if I drove away with it. (Much the same as if I just put it in my boot).

Could you prove my intent though?

Could it equally be argued that the owner of the wall set a trap for banksy?

No, I don't think that could be argued at all.

I thought we were talking about the legal situation, now you're asking if I could prove that you'd set a trap in order to glue matchsticks to my tyres... That's not a question about the legality, it's a question about you fooling the court.

Archived