How/what is GKR karate?

Jammie

Kyle,

One purpose of my post was to inform others that GKR attempts to remove your freedom of choice by insisting that you ONLY train in GKR.

There have also been times when previous GKR instructors have been visited in their newly opened dojo by the GKR Regional Instructor and a couple of heavies and informed that if they fail to shut up shop they will be issued with proceedings for breach of contract.

Kyle PM'd me too!!!

:hihi:

The PM was pointless too.

Hey Kyle, I have a few ungraded novices in my club. Can THEY become sempais in your club too?

Putting Yellow belts and such to teach ? Thats a disgrace!

Also dont go round telling people you "can take a punch" or that you tell your mates to "kick and punch you round the body" and that you get "covered in blood during gradings" to prove how hard you are.

Anyone that lets people get covered in blood during gradings is quite simply being stupid and irresponsible (unless they are an MMA club LOL).

On one hand you are saying you can take a dig, on the other hand you are saying its "no contact" make your mind up.

No offence but this thread is becoming childish.

This is what i think :

1.Knocking on doors=

Fine knock on doors, jehovahs witnesses knock on my door, i even invite them in for a chat! Cool by me

2.Katas etc,... =

Fine

Kata is the backbone of karate as long as you are taught correct BUNKAI behind the kata or it is meaningless.

3. Non contact?

Ok whatever floats your boat , who said everything has to be full contact anyway. Just dont make your art out to be an effective one thats all . You have just contradicted yourself when youre going on about being covered in blood during gradings.

4.judge a club by the students more than by looking at the instructors.If the instructors are doing their job then the students will have been taught good technique in whatever they are doing be it karate/ju jitsu /taekwondo or boxing.

Enjoy whatever you do but dont lie to people or make it out to be what its not.

Having looked at the GKR website there are 26 ! yes 26 GKR clubs in Sheffield alone:o.

I would love to know what grades the so called instructors are.

People are paying top prices for 3rd rate instruction.:rant:

If people are stupid then let them be stupid. Its their money and they make their choice.

If people are stupid then let them be stupid. Its their money and they make their choice.

Not stupid, but perhaps ill informed.

The door-to-door approach is presumably aimed at folks that have no experience, so wouldn't know wether they were getting good training or not.

On my next full contact show i will be staging a full contact fight a SPECIAL MATCH

KARATE Vs KARATE !!!

I want a GKR stylist and a Shotokan/Goju/Wado/whatever-Do Stylist

Both will have trained the same amount of time in their respective styles and be a similar weight.Let them both do 3x2mins in the ring and see if GKR can hold its own.

If the GKR guy looks evenly matched (win/lose or draw) then GKR will be respected as a proper karate style.

If the GKR looks like a muppet in the ring , then what everyone on this thread says is true!

If GKR dont respond then everyones suspicions are still true.

Fair call???

Maybe one reason people do GKR is they don't like the contact?

In which case the chance of finding a representative from that camp will be tricky.

Finding a representative from MOST forms of martial art in this type of contest is bad enough, even TKD which is a full contact martial art.

The mention of hitting to the face scares most styles off to be honest.

i do intend to train in another style of karate and it will be a full contact one

The quote is from kyle and it begs the question for me (and maybe others)what exactly is "Full contact". I mean, a "full contact" elbow strike to the jaw (or anywhere else) is not nice, neither is a poke in the eye, strike to the throat, ear tearing, or that good old standby, testicular grabbing and pulling. So what is defined as "full contact",please? If it only refers to punches and kicks then many karate techniques can't be used, can they?? So can someone give me a definition,please?