How/what is GKR karate?

Jammie

The smell of testosterone on this thread is almost overpowering :)

My three young boys and myself attend GKR classes and I am very happy with them. I don't know enough about Martial Arts to compare it with others. However I in my experience the instructors are very good with young children making the classes fun whilst conveying skills and discipline.

I am not bothered about my childern being able to beat the living wotsit about of anyone. I want them to know enough to be able to defend themselves in a playground situation. I want them to learn about respect and I want them to be self confident. In my experience GKR is providing all that - for my children. I may be just lucky with the instructors at the dojos we attend.

Regarding sales aspects. Well to be honest much of that sounds a little like sour grapes. GKR are successful the company makes a lot of money - so what. If some people are ghappy following the 'true' meaning of their art and making little money that's fine. If some people would sooner be more contemporary in their outlook and make a good living so what.

The smell of testosterone on this thread is almost overpowering :)

My three young boys and myself attend GKR classes and I am very happy with them. I don't know enough about Martial Arts to compare it with others. However I in my experience the instructors are very good with young children making the classes fun whilst conveying skills and discipline.

I am not bothered about my childern being able to beat the living wotsit about of anyone. I want them to know enough to be able to defend themselves in a playground situation. I want them to learn about respect and I want them to be self confident. In my experience GKR is providing all that - for my children. I may be just lucky with the instructors at the dojos we attend.

Regarding sales aspects. Well to be honest much of that sounds a little like sour grapes. GKR are successful the company makes a lot of money - so what. If some people are ghappy following the 'true' meaning of their art and making little money that's fine. If some people would sooner be more contemporary in their outlook and make a good living so what.

Good to all that - I'm pleased you are enjoying it! I hope you keep on enjoying it ..... BUT as you keep saying 'In my experience' ..... the people on this thread who are criticising GKR have vastly more experience - not to say they are any great experts - but time served allows people to see when there are things happening which do not quite ring true! As for the marketing side of it - yes! I know traditional (whatever that means) clubs and organisations are worried about the rapid progression of GKR. But I also know that it isn't sour grapes - it is more about the reputation that such shananagins has on the art of karate.

No testosterone - just trying to reason things out. As I have said in a previous post I have a friend who attends GKR sessions and thoroughly enjoys it. Fair play to him and all who practice! I just hope the allegations aren't all true and that people don't get their fingers burnt!

the people on this thread who are criticising GKR have vastly more experience

More experience in what? It would seem from the postings that many of them have never attended a GKR training session and are merely commenting on prejudgements or hearsay.

I think your posts on this thread are extremely balanced and but would argue that some of them from other posters are reasoned!

More experience in what? It would seem from the postings that many of them have never attended a GKR training session and are merely commenting on prejudgements or hearsay.

I think your posts on this thread are extremely balanced and but would argue that some of them from other posters are reasoned!

More experience in martial arts. I started training in 1982 approx 2 years before GKR started.

More experience in martial arts. I started training in 1982 approx 2 years before GKR started.

Hi Protekt that's my point. Like I said I do not have experience of different styles, I just know what I wanted for my children and myself and GKR provides that. For people to comment on the instruction they should attend. This is why so many of my comments were laced with in my experience.

To say all GKR instructors are 'not very good' would be the same as saying all southerners are soft - its a sweeping generalisation. You get good and bad in everything.

Hi Protekt that's my point. Like I said I do not have experience of different styles, I just know what I wanted for my children and myself and GKR provides that. For people to comment on the instruction they should attend. This is why so many of my comments were laced with in my experience.

QUOTE]

I can see your point, however you say you want your childen to be able to get out of scrapes in the playground, quite understandable, but you must realise that gkr will more than likely instil a false sense of security in your children, which can be more dangerous than them only having the option to run away.

Also, I have been and looked at GKR classes so I am quite qualified o comment on them I think, plus the fact I started training in my first style in 1991.