How/what is GKR karate?

Jammie

What is FUD? Where come from FUD is what you eat! :hihi:

Back to GKRconcerned - I'm not that concerned about not being CRB checked. I'm a named instructor at a club - now defunct unfortunately - and haven't been CRB through that club (although I am a teacher so have been through my profession - and previous church work also). CRB is part of the guidelines for club instructors in most organisations and with the development of the UKCC, any Sport England recognised org/club will require a check.

With GKR - I would be more concerned with the organisation being a member of a 'governing body' (whatever that means in karate circles these days) that doesn't require registration of it's members. Nor - as far as I know, does GKR provide any insurance for practitioners (might be the same for instructors - I don't know). That is the major concern I have for someone in your position.

FUD is Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. It's a form of propaganda whereby you spread untruths about a situation and people change their behaviour to avoid whatever the rumour was that you spread.

This bit from sangusa fits the bill

If you help them to get a child by themselves you could be blamed for any wrong doings

It's simply not true, but likely to scare anyone who doesn't know that.

Ok so I used the wrong wording. But it is not trying to scare anyone. If you are in charge the buck stops with you.

You will be asked "Why have CRB checks not being done" If the guilty party are on the records you will be in trouble. You would not have taken reasonable precautions. So not FUD?

Thanks Protekt, I feel better about it now.

With GKR - I would be more concerned with the organisation being a member of a 'governing body' (whatever that means in karate circles these days) that doesn't require registration of it's members.

Now i'm concerned again. Are you saying that i'm not registered as a member with GKR 'head office' or such like?

Nor - as far as I know, does GKR provide any insurance for practitioners (might be the same for instructors - I don't know). That is the major concern I have for someone in your position.

I was led to believe there was insurance yet I think i've discovered that it's a fault-based insurance. In a nutshell, this means that accidents are NOT covered. Do you think I might be shouldering some legal responsibility here?

I don't trust them anymore, they can wrap anything up and make it look good to us compliant slaves, sorry <ahem> instructors

@PeteGKR, i'm not sure of your history but in my region, if you get on the STP you can make brown in 18 months.

Ok so I used the wrong wording. But it is not trying to scare anyone. If you are in charge the buck stops with you.

You will be asked "Why have CRB checks not being done" If the guilty party are on the records you will be in trouble. You would not have taken reasonable precautions. So not FUD?

No, this is not true. There is no legal requirement to CBR check instructors, so the buck stops with any adult that does wrong, not the person that runs the club if they are not one and the same.

Thanks Protekt, I feel better about it now.

Now i'm concerned again. Are you saying that i'm not registered as a member with GKR 'head office' or such like?

I was led to believe there was insurance yet I think i've discovered that it's a fault-based insurance. In a nutshell, this means that accidents are NOT covered. Do you think I might be shouldering some legal responsibility here?

I don't trust them anymore, they can wrap anything up and make it look good to us compliant slaves, sorry <ahem> instructors

@PeteGKR, i'm not sure of your history but in my region, if you get on the STP you can make brown in 18 months.

Most martial arts clubs will require you to take out personal liability insurance, the cost isn't a lot, but it means that you have cover for time off work due to injury, cover for permanent injuries, and legal cover should you negligently injure another student.

Instructors should have a higher level of insurance that mainly covers them for negligence in their teaching and supervising of the class.

Most martial arts clubs will require you to take out personal liability insurance, the cost isn't a lot, but it means that you have cover for time off work due to injury, cover for permanent injuries, and legal cover should you negligently injure another student.

Instructors should have a higher level of insurance that mainly covers them for negligence in their teaching and supervising of the class.

Sorry to appear to be thick, but how does that work? say if I went to a karate class, and someone punched me, does that mean I can sue them?

And if I was to sue them, surely my claim would be kicked out, after all, isn't karate about learning to punch someone?

No it doesn't work like that.

If you get punched as an expected and understood risk of taking part then it's basically tough luck.

If you were practicing an arm lock though, and they deliberately broke your arm, then you could sue them and their insurance would pay out. It's all down to the word negligent.

• 2 months later...

I was once shown (by a GKR instructor) a photocopy of Robert Sullivan's 2nd Dan grading certificate from Kei Shin Kan Karate (now called Kei Shin Kai in Japan). It was signed by Master Masanao Takazawa 8th Dan.

I have spoken to people in Australia who trained in Kei Shin Kan (founded by Takazawa who was given authority to train under that name by Toyama Kanken). Sullivan trained under Sensei Masayuki Takasaka in Melbourne. Sensei Takasaka was graded to 5th Dan in 1969. He is still training in Melbourne at Belmore Road, Box Hill under the name Koryu Karate Do- having broken away from KSK Japan. Sensei Uchida 5th Dan is still training in Sydney under Kei Shin Kan as is Peter Walton 4th Dan in Melbourne who no longer trains with Sensei Takasaka. Sullivan achieved 1st Dan in Australia under Sensei Takasaka and then went to Japan where he got 2nd Dan from Master Takazawa. Old home movies of Sullivan training with Kei Shin Kan when Master Takazawa visited Australia in or about 1974 with his senior 5th Dan students, still exist. They are the most incredible movies, because when people like Sullivan were babies in karate terms, here were 5th Dan and 8th Dan (Master Takazawa) Japanese displaying amazing karate.

Now Sullivan calls himself 7th Dan. Well I ask you, if you could learn from Sullivan or the Japanese instructor who is the real deal, who still trains in Melbourne, Uchida in Sydney - who would you go to?