How/what is GKR karate?

Jammie

you guys make me sick listening to all the whinging about "gkr", yes i do "gkr", and have done 4 a while now im currently 3rd kyu, but i also hold a 1st dan with "kyokushin kai". trained in "muay thai" for 4 yrs in thailand, and also hold a black belt in "ju jitsu".

Wow, you're certainly very well travelled.

ไหว้เป็นการทักทายของคนไทย และก็เป็นวัฒนธรรมของไทยด้วย เมื่อเราไหว้ เราจะพูดว่า สวัสดี สำหรับการทักทาย แต่ถ้าเป็นการขออภัย เราจะไหว้ พร้อมกับพูดว่า ขอโทษ

Or did you not pick up any Thai during your 4 years?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fightmaster

you guys make me sick listening to all the whinging about "gkr", yes i do "gkr", and have done 4 a while now im currently 3rd kyu, but i also hold a 1st dan with "kyokushin kai". trained in "muay thai" for 4 yrs in thailand, and also hold a black belt in "ju jitsu".

Surely 'respect' is a two way street and calling people with different opinions from you 'morons' does not engender much respect in my book. Noel

ps. Carcass, the writing above is that a line from one of your prescriptions????!!! See you on the mat soon mate.

Hello everyone. I'm hoping someone can put my mind at rest. I've posted this elsewhere but I think it's appropriate here

I've been with GKR for around 14 months having previously done no 'fighting' sports at all. Really fit, hard worker, but no experience.

After my first proper grading (yellow) I was told by my sensei (who is now a 1st kyu and was only a GREEN when he was instructing me) that the regional instructor said I looked really 'sharp' and that it was a great honour to be noticed in this way. After being nervous about even starting karate at all, I felt my 100% effort had paid off and I was glowing inside with pride.

At my orange grading I was told that my karate was 'really special' and I had the chance of a lifetime to learn how to be an assistant instructor on the GKR 'STP' program. I studied hard, really, really hard. I learned everything I could for hours each day as I presumed only the creme de la creme got in. The exam took me 10 mins, I got 99%.

I was put into a class with my black and white belt to be a sempai. Inside 2 weeks I had 25(!!!!!!) brand new students to train - as a SENSEI. The pressure was massive.

I could write a whole essay on my GKR experiences and I can't tell you why it has taken me so long to decide to leave, but I know what finally gave me the energy to do it

GKR HAVE NOT POLICE CHECKED ME - I AM NOT ACCREDITED

I teach lots and lots of children and 2 very vulnerable adults (I don't want to be too specific)

So the question is: Am I breaking the law? I'm horrified that i'm allowed to 'teach' these people, it's an absolute disgrace. I certainly don't want to get in trouble with the law!

If anyone has any further questions about GKR, please feel free to ask as many ask you like, i'll answer as best I can. Thanks in advance.

As it stands at the moment I do not believe you are breaking the law, but a lot of guidelines.

This seems a pretty standard GKR story.

My advice don`t be a GKR puppet. Find a good club and learn Karate for 5-6 years before you even think about starting to teach.

you guys make me sick listening to all the whinging about "gkr", yes i do "gkr", and have done 4 a while now im currently 3rd kyu, but i also hold a 1st dan with "kyokushin kai". trained in "muay thai" for 4 yrs in thailand, and also hold a black belt in "ju jitsu". so i know i can talk with expirence, the reason i do gkr is because of my kids, yes you are right when you all say gkr "punching air" and i wouldnt have it any other way for my kids, i know when my kids compete in a tournement at least they wont come home black and blue with broken nose and ribs which ive seen so many time with other styles gkr is a family club not a lets killem club, grow up and respect all styles you morons

WOW, I bet there are hundreds of people queing up to convert Kyukushin dan grades into GKR dan grades.:hihi::loopy:

If you dont have CRB check how do you know your fellow instructors are clean?If you help them to get a child by themselves you could be blamed for any wrong doings.

Body Odour is a sign your fellow instructors may not be clean. Soap and water should put this right though

If you dont have CRB check how do you know your fellow instructors are clean?

If you help them to get a child by themselves you could be blamed for any wrong doings.

This is just FUD.

Why would you help anyone 'get a child alone', and why would you be liable for anything you did so long as it was innocent?

Having a CRB check proves nothing, except that you haven't been caught yet.

This is just FUD.

Why would you help anyone 'get a child alone', and why would you be liable for anything you did so long as it was innocent?

Having a CRB check proves nothing, except that you haven't been caught yet.

What is FUD? Where come from FUD is what you eat! :hihi:

Back to GKRconcerned - I'm not that concerned about not being CRB checked. I'm a named instructor at a club - now defunct unfortunately - and haven't been CRB through that club (although I am a teacher so have been through my profession - and previous church work also). CRB is part of the guidelines for club instructors in most organisations and with the development of the UKCC, any Sport England recognised org/club will require a check.

With GKR - I would be more concerned with the organisation being a member of a 'governing body' (whatever that means in karate circles these days) that doesn't require registration of it's members. Nor - as far as I know, does GKR provide any insurance for practitioners (might be the same for instructors - I don't know). That is the major concern I have for someone in your position.