Sponsoring a child

I've decided I'd like to sponsor a child overseas, as well as for me it's so that my daughter who's 6 can see how lucky she is and what other children live like in poorer countries.

Can anyone recommed a good charity for this? I've looked online and there are several but I always prefer to go by recommedations of others whenever possible.

I'd like one that delivers regular updates so my daughter can see them growing up.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

I've decided I'd like to sponsor a child overseas, as well as for me it's so that my daughter who's 6 can see how lucky she is and what other children live like in poorer countries.

Can anyone recommed a good charity for this? I've looked online and there are several but I always prefer to go by recommedations of others whenever possible.

I'd like one that delivers regular updates so my daughter can see them growing up.

I sponsor someone through Plan International. I chose them at the time (about 20 years ago) because I knew they were working in an area that I was interested in. Also that they seemed concentrate on things like schools, small scale infrastructure (eg small businesses etc) to help people to help themselves. I'm now on my 4th kid, as they grow up and/or Plan complete their work in a particular area and move on.

More recently I've noticed that they've started using TV adverts - I know some people are put off by charities that spend money on adverts on the basis they should be spending funds where it's needed, but it doesn't bother me. I just presume that they must know that the advertising more than pays for itself in increased subscriptions.

They send out general newsletters, newsletters about the particular area and the work they are doing in the area. They also send out a yearly report about the kid, with a short letter from the kid, which Plan have translated. Whether or not the kid writes a letter depends on their age and whether they can write. One used to send a drawing.

You are encouraged to write, and maybe send a small (low value) present. They do a range of gifts in a catalogue if you want to chose from it.

TBH, I'm not that bothered about the whole "sponsor a child" angle. I first chose that charity because I wanted to help a particular area in a way that seemed useful. Also, I've never compared Plan to any other similar charity, so for all I know, others could be better.

As it happened, they moved out of the original area (the reason for my choice), a couple of years after I started supporting them, as their work was complete, so they allocated me another child in a completely different country. I just went with the flow when they did.

I started supporting Plan when I was single. I have since married and had a child. She is now 8 and we have started explaining this to her. You can use it to help explain the situation that children face in other countries, and they can get involved aq little if they want.

I sponsor a child.

I’ve sponsored him for 21 years so far.

I’ve paid for all of his food, clothing and accommodation.

I’ve bought, taxed and insured his car.

I’ve sponsored a large proportion of his degree.

I’ll probably sponsor him when he can’t get a job straight away after he leaves university.

I’ll probably sponsor the deposit for his first house.

And in time, hopefully, I’ll sponsor his kids, my Grandchildren

At no time has any of this sponsorship been syphoned off to pay the inflated salaries of NGO workers.

At no time has any of this sponsorship been syphoned off to buy Bentleys for dictators and despots.

At no time has any of this sponsorship been syphoned off to buy AK47’s for “freedom fighters.”

At no time has any of this sponsorship been syphoned off to fund people who wrap them self in death and praise and imaginary figure as they blow up tube trains.

Charity should begin at home, and not be used to prop up corrupt, unviable nations and populations.

Hi I work voluntarily for Mind the Gap we have homes for orphaned and abandoned children in Zimbabwe , We have just gained charitable status , Please contact Sheila Stunell "mind the Gap Africa " Peckham Park road Baptist church , 121 Peckham Park rd London SE 15 6SX

Every penny given goes to support the child in our forever homes , we also have opportunity to visit and work with children in need. please Pm me for further information. These children have no help , no benifits no education without organisations like this one.

Use your money for some local kids in your area.

That way you can see first hand how your money helps the lives of children

Use your money for some local kids in your area.

That way you can see first hand how your money helps the lives of children

Children here are not in real poverty , Until you have seen the third world kids you cannot say we have poverty on that level , also children here get free school dinners children in the third world starve if there isn't food aid , Children here have free health care in the third world even in the government hospital you have to pay subsequently children die from simple treatable illnesses .free education in the third world even at $2 a term parents cannot afford to pay ! Children whose parents have no jobs get housing benefit , in the third world they end up on the streets , so can you see what sponsoring a child in the third world will make a big difference .

The other thing is here with Mind the Gap you can actually go out and visit , see for yourself whats happening workers are always need even if its for 2 weeks.Everyone who works for Mind the Gap in a volunteer , when we go we pay our own fares/ costs etc 100% of what you give goes to the childs up keep . How may charities pay workers ? which takes away from the child !

---------- Post added 23-02-2013 at 12:33 ----------

Always worth checking the charities commission before putting your money into the pockets of the fat cats...

An example here of a good charity: here

exactly thats why I have stopped supporting some charities !

---------- Post added 23-02-2013 at 12:38 ----------

Always worth checking the charities commission before putting your money into the pockets of the fat cats...

An example here of a good charity: here

Save the children work around Harare in a small area , there is much poverty throughout the rural areas of Zimbabwe where crops have now failed for a 2nd year in a row , there is massive droughts there , and when it does rain its to late for the crops and causes flooding.

Oxfam pay workers in food which is often late !

World vision are limited to how much they can do and again work in all major cities

These charities pay their own workers

Interesting to see you are also an animal lover, wasn't going to publish this yesterday as didn't seem relevant but check out the accounts on this place:

South Yorkshire Animal Rescue, 359 South Road, Walkley, Sheffield, s6 3TE

£24k per annum on wages (That's his largest outgoing)

That's why I like mind the gap all volunteers no wages bills !

Archived