Fatal gasometer explosion Park Wood Springs (?)

david weston

1973 sheila nearly 40 years ago now !it was a tragedy for sure ,i used to go into the lomases house daily as i was mates with john junior&jack would be sat there with his fag in his mouth picking out his horses !!poor old dulcie was never the same after jacks death

Didn't know Jack really Alf didn't move to lopham st till 72.But mrs lomas was lovely.Do you see owt of John and the rest.

I remember the one in 73. I was at school in hillsborough when we felt the big classroom window facing east take the shockwave and heard a bang. We wondered what it was. Dad told us when we got home and next day he drove us to Effingham road and all parked cars were covered in debris and concrete slabs etc. Looked like I imagine a war zone to look.

• 2 months later...
I think it was during the 60's, not sure of the area name. There was also a tale that the same tanks were attacked by a German plane during the war. Any info ?

I lived opposite neeps end during the war the story was an incendery bomb was dropped on the gas tank a sailor on leave climbed up and threw it off I was about 6 at the time

---------- Post added 02-05-2013 at 23:27 ----------

I lived accross the river from neepsend I was 6yrs old a sailor on leave climbed on the top of the gas tank and threw the incendery bomb off averting a disaster

Archived