Salary to live in Manchester

Thank You all for such a quick response!

Geared, the salaries given in job adds are pretty much the same as the ones in the guide,but does it 'work' when it come to negotiating salary..? ;)

tzijlstra, (I wander how U pronounce yr nick ;) ), I am prepared to pay 3months in advance (is it enoigh?) + double deposit if needed, as we will be comming with a dog and zero UK rent/credit history... that's my main concern...

Have you considered the regulations governing quarantine for animals and the associated costs. I know of people who had to leave a much loved dog in the USA because they didn't want to put it through the stress of 6 months of quarantine.

Bio, we are aware of the regulation regarding bringing dogs - we will be traveling from Europe, so no quarantine required, just vaccination, chip, passport. :)

Me thinking.. ;))

Rent (1-2bd house in suburbs of Manchester): 500-600

Council tax: ~100

Gas, Electricity, Water ~150

internet, telephone x2 ~100

Monthly travel card x2 ~200

Pet Insurance ~50

Groceries + dog food ~400

Sums up to about 1600/month.

Are these sums realistic/too high/ too low?

Hallo, I would be greatful to also get your opinion.

I am also considering moving to Manchester, but have not yet negotiated over my salary with the office I could work for. I was going through a 'salary guide' in my proffession, which says 26-32k pa. I have no experince working in the UK, so the offer will probably be lower than average. So just a quick question.

Would 26k pa (1700pm?) be enough for two pple to rent a 1bd house (we have a small dog)? My husband will be starting a new buisness, so all his income in the beginning will go into that and we would be living on one salary at first.

P.S. Of course I don't want to take the minimum offered wage but I want to know what is the minimum that I shouldn't go below. If I need to earn 30k for both of us to have a decent life from the beginning than that's the offer I will make. I'm just taking in consideration the fact that I have foreign job experience and I know I will have to learn alot abt the UK regulations and norms in the beginning.

I think you'll find unless hes got some special skill that is hard to come by, the company will pay him what they've budgeted for. not the other way round.

The salary guide is just an average taken over similar positions not what the company in question will pay him.

I think you'll find unless hes got some special skill that is hard to come by, the company will pay him what they've budgeted for. not the other way round.

The salary guide is just an average taken over similar positions not what the company in question will pay him.

The guide, yes.. but also the job offer add online had the same sum given (26k-32k negotiable depending on experience). This is for my job. We will live on my salary in the beginning, until hubby manages to get his buisness going. ;)

Geared, no, it will be his first time in the Uk actualy. Only I have been there a few times (worked in an office for 2 months, but not in my proffession). I know 30k is the fair salary for my proffession and length of experience.. BUT on the other hand my experience is 'foreign' that is why I am prepaired for a lower offer in the begining.

P.S. I'm really happy I found this forum. Thank You so much for all your answers.. it is a big decision for us, so every information helps...

It all depends on which suburb. Swinton, for example, you can rent a 1 bedroom place for around £350. Now look at trendier Chorlton and you're looking at £500. Closer to the city centre, maybe around the Northern Quarter and you're looking at £600+.

The further out you get, the cheaper it is. In places like Farnworth and Bolton and Leigh you have an abundance of cheap terraced housing.

It all depends on if you're happy commuting in exchange for cheaper housing, and which mode of transport you use.

Have a look at the main train and tram routes then have a browse on Google Streetview for the areas to get an idea.

Geared, no, it will be his first time in the Uk actualy. Only I have been there a few times (worked in an office for 2 months, but not in my proffession). I know 30k is the fair salary for my proffession and length of experience.. BUT on the other hand my experience is 'foreign' that is why I am prepaired for a lower offer in the begining.

P.S. I'm really happy I found this forum. Thank You so much for all your answers.. it is a big decision for us, so every information helps...

You can always take the 26k if thats on offer to get the experience, then go for a pay rise / promotion / better job.

The other point to make is the UK is not exactly land of milk & honey at the moment and competition is high for a lot of jobs. Companies are systematically firing employees as automation develops. People don't believe this but it's true! if a company in the future can fire you and replace with cheaper software / robots they will.

So unless you have relevant, sought after experience / skills in a growing sector you will find it tough to find well paid work and keep a job.

tzijlstra, (I wander how U pronounce yr nick ;) ), I am prepared to pay 3months in advance (is it enoigh?) + double deposit if needed, as we will be comming with a dog and zero UK rent/credit history... that's my main concern...

Can I assume you are familiar with us Dutchies? the best way to pronounce it is: Tim ;) I need to alter my signature again

Bio, we are aware of the regulation regarding bringing dogs - we will be traveling from Europe, so no quarantine required, just vaccination, chip, passport. :)

Correct, they are still very strict on it though, so make sure you get all that right, it can be a nightmare.

Me thinking.. ;))

Council tax: ~100

Gas, Electricity, Water ~150

internet, telephone x2 ~100

Monthly travel card x2 ~200

Pet Insurance ~50

Groceries + dog food ~400

Sums up to about 1600/month.

Travel-cost might shock you a bit especially trains, so depending on where you come from and go to, make sure you check the prices. However, Manchester (like Sheffield) has a decent tram-system and buses galore.

The other point to make is the UK is not exactly land of milk & honey at the moment and competition is high for a lot of jobs. Companies are systematically firing employees as automation develops. People don't believe this but it's true! if a company in the future can fire you and replace with cheaper software / robots they will.

So unless you have relevant, sought after experience / skills in a growing sector you will find it tough to find well paid work and keep a job.

Pirogi, You will encounter a lot of this, Brits don't realise how well the economy here is doing at the moment, fairly sure it will be the same where you are from.