The truth about exercise.

Its quite a good program and a bit of an eye opener for those obsessed with the Gym.

I think its also the one, or part of the same series that goes into detail about calorie restricted diets and how it may help people live longer.

it`s all about the diet, no amount of exercise will correct a poor diet.

What a load of tosh gym-rat!! No amount of exercise will correct a poor diet? If you were to eat the 'wrong' foods but stick within the calorie requirements whether you are male or female and exercise regularly you would still be fit and healthy. It is excessive calorie consumption that is the problem in most cases. If I ate 4000 calories a day of baked potatoes, grilled chicken, salad, low fat yoghurt, lean meat and all the other good food you are supposed to eat, I would still gain weight because I would be exceeding the calories necessary for weight maintainance.

No amount of the correct diet will correct a lack of exercise. The two go hand in hand, but exercise is more beneficial than the correct diet.

If you were to eat the 'wrong' foods but stick within the calorie requirements whether you are male or female and exercise regularly you would still be fit and healthy.

Surely you could be slim but wouldn't you be lacking in vitamins, minerals, fibre etc? I don't see how you'd be fit and healthy :confused:

What a load of tosh gym-rat!! No amount of exercise will correct a poor diet? If you were to eat the 'wrong' foods but stick within the calorie requirements whether you are male or female and exercise regularly you would still be fit and healthy. It is excessive calorie consumption that is the problem in most cases. If I ate 4000 calories a day of baked potatoes, grilled chicken, salad, low fat yoghurt, lean meat and all the other good food you are supposed to eat, I would still gain weight because I would be exceeding the calories necessary for weight maintainance.

No amount of the correct diet will correct a lack of exercise. The two go hand in hand, but exercise is more beneficial than the correct diet.

Would this apply if I just ate my daily calorie requirement in crisps or chocolate? Surely you need a balanced diet?

I watched the whole series, and found it interesting.

I tend to mainly do cardiovascular exercising, as it’s what I enjoy doing, and so keep it up, week in week out. As well as long, steady sessions on some days, I do the short, sharp interval sessions on other days (the 3 x 20 seconds flat out that he discusses). It certainly feels as though it does me good, especially my lung capacity – but I’ve not done any back to back tests, so it’s purely subjective.

Not a load of tosh at all. The two go hand in hand, but to say you can eat anything as long as you burn off the excess calories consumed and still be healthy is clearly wrong. If I ate only lard, consumed 4000 cals a day of it, exercised so that I gained no weight would I be a healthy human....clearly not.

Archived