The truth about exercise.

What a load of tosh gym-rat!! No amount of exercise will correct a poor diet? If you were to eat the 'wrong' foods but stick within the calorie requirements whether you are male or female and exercise regularly you would still be fit and healthy. It is excessive calorie consumption that is the problem in most cases. If I ate 4000 calories a day of baked potatoes, grilled chicken, salad, low fat yoghurt, lean meat and all the other good food you are supposed to eat, I would still gain weight because I would be exceeding the calories necessary for weight maintainance.

No amount of the correct diet will correct a lack of exercise. The two go hand in hand, but exercise is more beneficial than the correct diet.

You'd have to go some eating 4000 calories a day, with just chicken, salad and spuds.

If you wanted a fitness model body say, It's 90% diet.

If you want to compete in elite sports It's also heavily weighted towards diet.

Of course you have to put the work in. You can be fit and heavier but It's diet that gives the edge. Otherwise It's genetics keeping you slim if diet sucks.

You disagree?

I think you're worrying about being slim, when people are talking about being fit.

---------- Post added 26-02-2013 at 16:39 ----------

And all calories are not created equal. If you are constantly spiking insulin with simple sugars and processed foods it will ultimately lead to weight gain and decreased performance no matter If kept to normal calorie intake.

There are differences I agree, for a start the calorie measurement is far from perfect, protein calories are over estimated by the standard model and the amount you actually extract from any given food is <100% but varies significantly.

What a load of tosh gym-rat!! No amount of exercise will correct a poor diet? If you were to eat the 'wrong' foods but stick within the calorie requirements whether you are male or female and exercise regularly you would still be fit and healthy. It is excessive calorie consumption that is the problem in most cases. If I ate 4000 calories a day of baked potatoes, grilled chicken, salad, low fat yoghurt, lean meat and all the other good food you are supposed to eat, I would still gain weight because I would be exceeding the calories necessary for weight maintainance.

No amount of the correct diet will correct a lack of exercise. The two go hand in hand, but exercise is more beneficial than the correct diet.

Nope - you would be thin but not necessarily healthy. Bad food damages from within.

If you want to be fit and healthy the best way to go about it is to eat well, stick to your daily calorie requirement and exercise regularly and vigorously.

I didn't mean to eat 4000 calories of lard a day as someone said or just crisps and chocolate as another said. I was replying to a comment which said that no amount of exercise can can correct a poor diet. When I mentioned the 'wrong' type of food I was meaning things like pizza, burgers, fish and chips etc. If your diet is poor but you exercise a lot you can be fit and healthy. Yes, bad food is bad for you but it does take years to show those effects. Exercise can combat this to a certain extent because it makes your body us up the calories you eat for energy and can make your body use more calories when you are not exercising. But it doesn't beat it altogether. I'm just saying that if you do have a poor diet exercise can compensate a lot for that.

I also never said at any point that the original programme about the short amount of exercise needed to help fitness was a load of rubbish, I really wish some people would read what is written.

I think you're worrying about being slim, when people are talking about being fit.

There are differences I agree, for a start the calorie measurement is far from perfect, protein calories are over estimated by the standard model and the amount you actually extract from any given food is <100% but varies significantly.

No, diet is not just effecting weight...

diet effects fitness, health and weight. Diet effects body fat, whether you get a heart condition, lung health, how you process energy, how quick you heal, what your joints are like, where you store fat and how much, how hard you can train, energy levels, everything...

And the second point is neither here nor there. Insulin spikes effect weight. The same amount of calories in chocolate is not the same amount in chicken and veg. One will cause ill health, the other promotes good health.

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 11:43 ----------

There's even research coming out now, and guys are doing it and getting results, where the time you eat effects performance, weight gain and health.

Eating in a 4 hour period in one day rather than 3/6 meals per day.

Check out Tim Ferriss book 4-hour-body...

Diet won't make you fit (or 90% fit) if you don't do any exercise.

Are you confusing slim with fit?

Nor does weight training make people fit. I know of muscular people who can hardly run to the end of the street. The whole idea behind body building is to build up bulk, turn it into muscle and then slim of the fat. lots of people don't bother with the latter.

it`s all about the diet, no amount of exercise will correct a poor diet.

100% with that. You train obviously.

Diet the difference between plateau and all kinds of gains! All kinds....

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 13:12 ----------

Nor does weight training make people fit. I know of muscular people who can hardly run to the end of the street. The whole idea behind body building is to build up bulk, turn it into muscle and then slim of the fat. lots of people don't bother with the latter.

This is true. Still all about diet. What goes in comes out.

No, diet is not just effecting weight...

diet effects fitness, health and weight. Diet effects body fat, whether you get a heart condition, lung health, how you process energy, how quick you heal, what your joints are like, where you store fat and how much, how hard you can train, energy levels, everything...

And the second point is neither here nor there. Insulin spikes effect weight. The same amount of calories in chocolate is not the same amount in chicken and veg. One will cause ill health, the other promotes good health.

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 11:43 ----------

There's even research coming out now, and guys are doing it and getting results, where the time you eat effects performance, weight gain and health.

Eating in a 4 hour period in one day rather than 3/6 meals per day.

Check out Tim Ferriss book 4-hour-body...

None of which will get you fit if you do not train at all.

You're claiming that 90% of fitness is diet. I disagree.

At an amateur level, I think that over 50% of fitness is training.

I'm sure that diet is affecting how effective that training is, but without the training, you'd might be healthy, you might be slim, but you will not be fit.

---------- Post added 27-02-2013 at 14:13 ----------

Agreed. Lifting weights will make you strong, it won't improve your cardiovascular performance (by much).

Archived