Burglary - Prevention Advice

AndyChef52

The intention of this post is to raise awareness, not to scare folk.

Most UPVC doors fitted have very cheap (Chinese) euro profile cylinder locks fitted, these offer poor security for a number of reasons which I will not of course discuss on this forum.

The advice I offer is to to consider replacing your lockes with a TS 007 replacement lock (or locks if you have French doors), unless you fit a 3 * replacement lock then you should also replace the door handles.

All Master Locksmiths have these, Harrolds in Sheffield is your best bet, I would encourge folk to also contact South Yorkshire Police (SYP) and ask to speak to a Crime Reduction Officer, if you want further information please PM me and I will be happy to help.:)

Forgot to add this link which provides further info http://www.dhfonline.org.uk/downloads/pub194.pdf

• 10 months later...

The master locksmith association have their own standard that tests a euro cylinder against snapping. This is known as SS312 Sold Secure Diamond. To date only one retro-fit lock has passed the standard.

The Sold Secure Diamond standard is a more robust test than TS007 and used snapping bars and a claw hammer - tools not used in TS007. It's for that reason that some 3 star rated locks have not been able to pass the diamond standard and some actually had it revoked.

The Diamond standard is often updated with newer known methods of attack to keep ahead of the burglars so passing the standard is tough.

There is info on the master locksmith website

As an addition to the Eurolocks and recent burglaries that have been committed, we have seen a number of boilers being ripped out and stolen across the city. Often extensive danage is caused in doing so.

We are short on info as to who is stealing them and who is receiving stolen boilers. If anyone has any such info please contact us via 101 or Crimestoppers 0800 555 111. Or if it is a crime in progress ring 999.

Thanks

Inspector Darren Starkey

Be cautious as to what you post on Facebook regarding holidays or trips out, even going out drinking, you would be surprised at how fast the whole neighbourhood knows about your every move, and when your house is going to be empty.

You are as good as inviting any would be criminal into your home!!

For anyone unsure of which locks they have currently fitted, I am available to come and check and give quotation for supply and fit of lock if necessary.

The locks that I supply are- Anti-Bump, Anti-Snap, Anti-Pick and Anti-Drill.

Paul Hardwick- 07884115302

The intention of this post is to raise awareness, not to scare folk.

Most UPVC doors fitted have very cheap (Chinese) euro profile cylinder locks fitted, these offer poor security for a number of reasons which I will not of course discuss on this forum.

The advice I offer is to to consider replacing your lockes with a TS 007 replacement lock (or locks if you have French doors), unless you fit a 3 * replacement lock then you should also replace the door handles.

All Master Locksmiths have these, Harrolds in Sheffield is your best bet, I would encourge folk to also contact South Yorkshire Police (SYP) and ask to speak to a Crime Reduction Officer, if you want further information please PM me and I will be happy to help.:)

Forgot to add this link which provides further info http://www.dhfonline.org.uk/downloads/pub194.pdf

Good advice.

I decided to get mine checked out this week and to my horror the lock was so bad that it didn't even need to be snapped, just a quick whack with a hammer and it'd have shot out without much hassle.

Now replaced with one of the ABS avocet ones.

Good advice.

I decided to get mine checked out this week and to my horror the lock was so bad that it didn't even need to be snapped, just a quick whack with a hammer and it'd have shot out without much hassle.

Now replaced with one of the ABS avocet ones.

This proved handy for me when i lost the key to the patio door recently.

Couple of mins & a pair of mole grips - it wasn't a problem any more!

Archived