Topping up grit bins

just took dog out for a walk, flat bed full of grit pulled up by a grit bin, guy jumps out, lifts lid, sees it full, and jumps back in.

At this point, im level with the cab and see THREE guys in the van.

Why on earth does it take three blokes from the council to travel round topping up the bins.

ok, perhaps the driver can't leave the cab, but surely it can only take one guy a couple of minutes to top a bin up.

i thought the council were making cuts.

How do i apply for the middle seat job, cause surely he only gets out if there is work to be done. I want a job like that!!

just took dog out for a walk, flat bed full of grit pulled up by a grit bin, guy jumps out, lifts lid, sees it full, and jumps back in.

Why on earth does it take three blokes from the council to travel round topping up the bins.

ok, perhaps the driver can't leave the cab, but surely it can only take one guy a couple of minutes to top a bin up.

How do i apply for the middle seat job, cause surely he only gets out if there is work to be done. I want a job like that!!

Bold answers your own question.

no it does not, i asked why it might need three employees

It doesn't take 2 people to look in the bin.

If the bin required filling, then both non-drivers can do it. The bins are deceptively big, and it's equal to or quicker than twice as quick with two doing it (if the driver stays in the cab as you guessed).

Why didn't you ask them whilst you were there??

You are obviously interested to know and im sure they would have been delighted to tell you.

sorry ash, they are not bigger than they look,they are the size they are. take one bloke a couple of minutes to fill one.

It annoys that with all the cut backs, one guy is employed to basically enjoy the ride. I promise you, the two passengers will take turns in filling the bins

---------- Post added 24-02-2013 at 23:10 ----------

Why didn't you ask them whilst you were there??

You are obviously interested to know and im sure they would have been delighted to tell you.

because they are employees operating under instruction, it would be wrong for me to question them and make them feel THEY are in the wrong.

Oh by the way, they are a private company who have been paid a lump sum by the Council to do the said jobs. If they choose to have three staff that's their choice. We are paying no "extra" for it.

We have already paid them the bill for their work which so far they have been doing rather well. How they choose to run their day to day operation I could not really care less.

Council dont run gritting any more.

Being a private company you can bet your arse that Amey wont do anything that could potentially cost more. Believe me. There could be many operational/time/health & safety/cost reasons why they need three.

Write to them and ask....

http://www.amey.co.uk/Home/Contactus.aspx

sorry ash, they are not bigger than they look,they are the size they are. take one bloke a couple of minutes to fill one.

It annoys that with all the cut backs, one guy is employed to basically enjoy the ride. I promise you, the two passengers will take turns in filling the bins

They hold about close to half a tonne of grit. Can you fill one in 2 minutes and film it and post it on youtube?

I'll buy you a pint if you can do it in a couple of minutes.

In responce to ash, they are only topping them up, not refilling them completely , hence the "its full" and jumping back in the van.

Well unless you've inspected all the grit bins, how do you know?

The one I used a couple of weeks back was about 7/8ths empty after I'd taken 4 bucket fulls out of it.

I'm glad they're out topping up the grit bins. Good - well done local authority. Job done :thumbsup:

Archived