"There's nothing on TV these days"

Here's a scenario I'm getting increasing bored with. Colleagues at work spending all day talking about what they've been watching the night before, and ..

1. Assuming that you must have watched what they did like it's 1970.

2. Having the gall to say "there's nothing on TV" after doing nothing but talk about it for 4 hours.

You can tell what sort of morning I'm having. Grrrr.

:hihi:

But things change, TV was much better in the 60s and 70s IMO. Now TV seems to be aimed mainly at women i.e. it's all soaps, make-over shows and reality TV rubbish. I don't really watch TV these days but if I do it tends to be ITV3, ITV4, Yesterday, Dave and Quest which always run repeats over and over.

But things change, TV was much better in the 60s and 70s IMO. Now TV seems to be aimed mainly at women i.e. it's all soaps, make-over shows and reality TV rubbish. I don't really watch TV these days but if I do it tends to be ITV3, ITV4, Yesterday, Dave and Quest which always run repeats over and over.

Really? I'm surprised to be honest because I've watched quite a few interesting documentary series and one offs recently which I think were really good. What kinds of things were good on telly in the 60s and 70s?

Agree about the reality/soap rubbish though, most of that is terrible!

one of the differences is that, 30 years ago the BBC only had two channels and very little competition from anyone else

nowadays the BBC has much more competition, relatively less money available for programming and four channels of its own to fill (not including the kids ones) - spreading itself far too thinly

i'm not usually one for saying the old days were better, and i'm not convinced home grown TV programmes are that much worse than they were 30 years ago - people tend to remember the good stuff and forget the rubbish - for every dad's army there was a terry and june

IMO, TV is better than it has ever been. Its just a case of searching for what I like. There are loads of channels, mostly with repeats or what I consider to be rubbish, but there are still enough gems to make the search worthwhile. I’d run a mile from soaps and most of the stuff touted as drama, with the exception of a few easy watching detective dramas, but that’s just a matter of personal taste. And of course, because personal tastes are different, and there are plenty of channels to choose from, people can and do watch different things from other people. No longer does everyone watch Sunday Night at the London Palladium.

With just freeview (no Sky, no PVR), I find I don’t have enough time to watch everything I want. I tend to finish up missing some of the BBC stuff, with the intention of catching up on iplayer, but sometimes finish up missing it completely. I finish up having to keep a look out for repeats.

The Natural History and Science programmes are still good quality. Some comedy is hit and miss IMO (very much subject to personal tastes obviously), and occasionally a little gem appears sort of by accident (eg The Last Leg).

Kids TV is good (I’m not into it but my daughter is). It is light years ahead of when I was growing up in the 60s.

There were old classics that we don’t have now, but IMO we often forget that they were interspersed with loads of dross. We look back on 20 or so years of “great” television, but the great TV we remember probably only amounts to a few dozen programmes, spread over the 20 years. A dozen or so episodes of Fawlty Towers doesn’t go very far when trying to fill 20 years of schedules, even when there were only three terrestrial channels.

Archived