Council tax debt question

Get yourself or preferably your husband down to the CAB.They will sort it.

Often one council dept. doesn't know what another is doing!!

How can they sell the debt on when he has an agreement to pay the debt and is doing so?

It seems it was sold to Rundles 4 years before he set up this payment plan with the council, and it appears that even though we do have a payment plan with the council and receipts for the payments, that Rundles don't want to let it lie!

They shall have to send their bailiff round then 'in due course' because he won't be getting anywhere - theres no court order as far as we are aware (as in Llamatron's case)

As I said one dept. doesn't know what the other is doing!!!!!!

I would still go to the CAB , the least they can do is tell what your rights are wrt bailiffs.

When I was an adviser I often spoke to the bailiff's office and got them to hold off for a period whilst we tried to sort out the client's problem

Just a quick query.

Hubby owes some council tax from years ago when he lived in Maidenhead.

Just had a bailiffs letter with no details at all and his name even spelt totally wrong. He set up a payment plan with he council last year and we have been paying it weekly. I've emailed the bailiff who says we cant do this and have to pay them, not the council as the council will not accept payments due to them having the liability order since 2007 its not owed to the council its now owed to the bailiff - they're lying aren't they?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

More or less.

If the council are happy for you to settle the debt with them and you are keeping to the payment plan with them then theres no reason for you to engage with the bailiff. The bailiff just want you to pay their fees.

Contact the council and get them to contact the bailiff on your behalf

It seems it was sold to Rundles 4 years before he set up this payment plan with the council, and it appears that even though we do have a payment plan with the council and receipts for the payments, that Rundles don't want to let it lie!

They shall have to send their bailiff round then 'in due course' because he won't be getting anywhere - theres no court order as far as we are aware (as in Llamatron's case)

Do not allow the bailiff into your home unless he has a court order. Don't even answer the door to them and make sure you have all doors and windows locked shut at all times.

One other trick is to put a Beware of the Dog notice on the door so they don't conveniently let themselves in.

Rang the council earlier and conveniently their council tax department is down for a few days for 'end of year maintenance!' Great!

Just what you needed!

It's like herding cats trying to resolve council tax issues there are some helpful sites like MSE, consumer action group etc good luck wading through the red tape.

Hope you get it sorted :)

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've spoken to the council about it now

The payment plan he has set up with them has been getting paid BUT all the payments are being sent directly to the bailliffs apparently, and not actually being paid to the council any more

Hows that work? I thought it was the other way round?

Will check out that thread now :)

The best bit is a good 8 months or so of the debt my hubby didn't even live in the flat in question - the landlord obviously just didn't inform the council of this :| Speaking of dodgy landlords!

My hubby has been basically uncontactable for a few years since he moved back up here due to living with various family members until he moved in with me in 2010, which is why they finally caught up with him in 2011, and he does accept he owes it, hes not disputing it, apart from that 8 months, but its no good, they won't have that, as he has no definitive proof he didn't live there.

---------- Post added 25-02-2013 at 16:22 ----------

Emailed them back to tell them that as I have been paying RBWM Council for over 18 months now, I will be continuing to do so until they confirm otherwise. This was the reply :hihi:

"Hello,

If this is your desired course of action, and you are unwilling to arrange a mutually agreeable payment plan with us, please be advised that a bailiff will call to your property in due course as stated in our previous email, and as detailed in our original letter."

Speak to a manager not someone in the office. We then went to the citizens advice bureau who acted as a liaison between us and the city council. We showed that we had stopped paying rent and had moved our contents insurance and we had started paying council tax for another property. The landlord will have to prove you are liable-its their house not yours!

Do not bother with the bailiffs its pointless, deal with the city council alone, through CAB preferably.

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 13:35 ----------

then I think you should be speaking to the police but try the city council first and get them to hold off the bailiff action until it is investigated. They do have the power to do this whatever they tell you.

Still indignant after a very long time-the council work for us! where do they get off treating people like this.

We should sue them together!!!! revolution etc!

I learnt my lesson and just tried to inform the council of another change of address-it was farcical and Im not surprised they can't keep track. I don't believe they have understood but I now have a receipt which I will keep.

Speak to a manager not someone in the office. We then went to the citizens advice bureau who acted as a liaison between us and the city council. We showed that we had stopped paying rent and had moved our contents insurance and we had started paying council tax for another property. The landlord will have to prove you are liable-its their house not yours!

Do not bother with the bailiffs its pointless, deal with the city council alone, through CAB preferably.

then I think you should be speaking to the police but try the city council first and get them to hold off the bailiff action until it is investigated. They do have the power to do this whatever they tell you.

Well I've emailed them a complaint to start with, as if what they say is true, and the payments are going directly to 'Rundles' when I have paid them, then they are being used not to pay my debt off, but probably to pay some ridiculous fees first. I've been told that councils have to give you the opportunity to pay them directly anyway and you don't have to deal with the bailiffs if you are paying them, see what happens next :suspect:

Just a quick query.

Hubby owes some council tax from years ago when he lived in Maidenhead.

Just had a bailiffs letter with no details at all and his name even spelt totally wrong. He set up a payment plan with he council last year and we have been paying it weekly. I've emailed the bailiff who says we cant do this and have to pay them, not the council as the council will not accept payments due to them having the liability order since 2007 its not owed to the council its now owed to the bailiff - they're lying aren't they?

The usual people will say im wrong.Evectively,they have just paid the debt for you,you have no contract with the debt collection agency,your contract is still with the council.The only thing the bailiffs can now do, is bully you for the money.If they turn up do not let them in.Do not leave any windows open etc.If they come with the police,dont worry, the police are only there to do there job and that is to keep the peace.They will eventually leave you alone.

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 14:13 ----------

Still indignant after a very long time-the council work for us! where do they get off treating people like this.

We should sue them together!!!! revolution etc!

I learnt my lesson and just tried to inform the council of another change of address-it was farcical and Im not surprised they can't keep track. I don't believe they have understood but I now have a receipt which I will keep.

It has nothing to do with the police,as it is a civil matter and since debt collection company has now paid off the debt,it now has nothing to do with the council.

Archived