Council tax debt question

Just a quick query.

Hubby owes some council tax from years ago when he lived in Maidenhead.

Just had a bailiffs letter with no details at all and his name even spelt totally wrong. He set up a payment plan with he council last year and we have been paying it weekly. I've emailed the bailiff who says we cant do this and have to pay them, not the council as the council will not accept payments due to them having the liability order since 2007 its not owed to the council its now owed to the bailiff - they're lying aren't they?

The usual people will say im wrong.Evectively,they have just paid the debt for you,you have no contract with the debt collection agency,your contract is still with the council.The only thing the bailiffs can now do, is bully you for the money.If they turn up do not let them in.Do not leave any windows open etc.If they come with the police,dont worry, the police are only there to do there job and that is to keep the peace.They will eventually leave you alone.

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 14:13 ----------

It has nothing to do with the police,as it is a civil matter and since debt collection company has now paid off the debt,it now has nothing to do with the council.

If she is already paying and the bailiffs are threatening to remove her property anyway then that is a matter for the police. They are threatening to steal from her.

If the city council have provided incorrect information to the bailiffs then that is their problem. You do not know what you are talking about. The city council had sold my details to a bailiffs and had got their information wrong, it is their responsibility to rectify it. The bailiffs would not have any say in that so there is no point discussing it with them.

I have been in this position and neither the city council or bailiffs were in the least bit bothered that I owed them nothing and that they both had incorrect information from a lying landlord.

Had a very quick response to my complaint email, and they have said they are not sure if what the CAB told me about the council having accept payment is correct, so he has forwarded the issue onto the debt recovery team who will contact me shortly and they should be able to help me further and in more detail than any of the other general office staff.

---------- Post added 11-03-2013 at 17:26 ----------

Well, spoke to debt recovery at the council today. They are willing to liaise with the bailiffs and stop them sending letters and extra charges, when they have been getting payment, even though its been going to the council and not directly to them. She said she will get them to agree to the same weekly payment plan he has set up with the council and make sure they discount all payments already made.

By magic, within 2 hours of this, the bailiff called. Despite my prior warning, hubby decided to let him in :loopy:

He seemed alright though, said the outstanding balance is 379.38 and he wasnt going to be silly and demand it on the spot or threaten to seize goods (even though he handed me a letter saying he will be back in 48 hours to do so) and gave us 2 months from today to pay the balance, but he cant set up a weekly payment plan himself and as we are willing to pay (and he can see we have been as he gets a text every single time we do), he doesnt want to pass it back to his office if he can give us time to pay and we can agree to it. We agreed and will just pay it, at least they're off our backs then ffs.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived